Businesses prepare for weekend

When returning alumni are not parading, celebrating or cheering for the Big Green this Homecoming Weekend, they might be found in downtown Hanover.

While Dartmouth's beautiful foliage and home football games attract many visitors every weekend in autumn, sales for local businesses peak with the arrival of Dartmouth graduates on Homecoming Weekend.

"Every year gets busier," Everything But Anchovies manager Maureen Dowd said. She said she expects a 35 percent increase in sales this weekend. EBAs has been in Hanover for 15 years.

Dave Ross, manager of College Supplies on Main Street, said he theorizes that the amount of business varies with the football team's record. He said since the Big Green are doing well this year, "we can expect a big weekend."

The store, which sells cards and party goods, has operated since 1942. "We know how Homecoming Weekend's going to be," Ross said.

Usually after Homecoming Weekend, temperatures drop, and with that, sales of outdoor items such as footballs and frisbees fall as well, Ross said.

Ross said he expects to see a lot of people who graduated in the past five years.

After five years, Ross said, alumni tend to visit less frequently and return mainly for their reunions every 10 years.

Sheila Spencer, whose family owns Stinson's convenience store, said she expects to see many visiting alumni this weekend.

"They always check in to say hi," she said.

Spencer's family has operated Stinson's for twenty years.

"We've seen [Homecoming Weekends] at their worst and we've seen them at their best," she said.

Spencer said she considers Stinson's the "hub" of Hanover, where students, alumni, visitors and local residents can meet and share stories.

"This is the info-booth of Dartmouth College," she said.Toby Fried, the owner of Lou's Restaurant, said he enjoys the alumni crowd.

"They're a great group of people. They're relaxed, and very happy to be here," he said.

Lou's was established in Hanover 49 years ago. Fried said the alumni "all have stories about what happened here 30 or 40 years ago."

Alumni often talk about Lou's neighbors from the past, Fried said, but most of them have disappeared over the years.

Dartmouth graduates often reminisce in Lou's, Fried said. Some alumni recall marriage proposals or famous guests in Lou's restaurant.

Fried also said some Dartmouth graduates have painted Lou's and brought the paintings to the restaurant on Homecoming Weekend.

Businesses that have not been established in Hanover as long as Lou's are also benefiting from Homecoming weekend.

Tony Maccherone is the manager of Murphy's on the Green, which has been in Hanover for four-and-a-half-years. Murphy's can count on a 20 to 25 percent increase in sales this weekend, he said.

Homecoming Weekend attracts alumni who used to visit the restaurants previously established in Murphy's location, Maccherone said.

Both Murphy's and EBAs prepare for the increase in business by enlarging their staff and keeping plenty of food on hand.