'99 Council sponsors leadership retreat

The 1999 Class Council will sponsor a weekend retreat for campus leaders beginning today at Pierce's Inn in Etna.

"This weekend provides an opportunity for a lot of interaction between leaders, and a chance for a lot of them to get to know one another on the personal level," said Nahoko Kawakyu '99, vice president of the 1999 Class Council and co-chair for the conference committee.

Kawakyu said 40 campus leaders will attend. The council invited representatives from all College-recognized organizations and the council is still receiving responses and has had to turn interested people away, she said.

Kawakyu said the weekend retreat will feature a keynote address, workshops and student panel.

"The workshops are there to enhance personal leadership skills like facilitating meetings, to focus on leadership challenges, to discuss burning issues on campus and to find out what the leaders on campus think we can do for them as leaders," she said.

Nance Lucas, the Associate Director of the Center for Political Leadership will be the keynote speaker, said Case Dorkey '99, co-chair of the conference committee.

"Nance will be speaking about models of leadership, particularly emphasizing values and the practice of exemplary leadership," Dorkey said.

Kawakyu said a panel consisting of President of The Dartmouth Maggie Fritz '97, Student Assembly President John Heavey '97, Tri Delta President Anne Jones '97 and Class of 1999 Dean Sylvia Langford will talk about their own experiences in leadership positions.

Kawakyu said the Class Council hopes the retreat will become an annual event.

"We figure that we're still going be here for two years, and we can make sure that the retreat will continue for that time, and then someone else will pick it up," Kawakyu said. "We're hoping to expand it a little more, so we won't have to turn away people next year."

Several groups, including Amarna, the Assembly, all of the class councils, the deans' office, the Programming Board and the Women's Resource Center are sponsoring the weekend.