A Solution to the '00 Problem?

Since my arrival on campus, my class, the class of 2000, has been referred to as "zeros," "double zeroes," "naughts" and "nothings."

According to all the literature that we were sent in the mail over the summer, the impession is given that we would get to name ourselves. But according to the upperclassmen -- at least the ones I've spoken to -- we really have no say in the matter. That's fine and dandy and all; it really doesn't matter to me who names us so long as we can settle on something, and hopefully before we graduate.

I believe that a name for a class is important because it gives us an identity. Everyone is a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior at some point in time. But '97s, '98s, and '99s come but once every 100 years.

And the identity that we are branded with now will stay with us for the rest of our lives. Which is why the name we are given should be positive and unifying. This is why I have a problem with the names already proposed -- they are too negative. I don't want to be a "zero" for the rest of my life, and I don't want my entire existence to be summed up as "nothing."

So I offer this: The year 2000 is written as MM in Roman numerals, so why can't we be M&M's. Of course there will be people who will not like the allusion to a candy that melts in your mouth, not in your hand. But the way I see it, becasue we go to Dartmouth, we'd actually be the Green M&M's and everyone knows that they are the rarist and best tasting.

But that's just my two cents, and unfortunately as a freshman I am already beginning to question how much that's worth.