Studio Art Department Supports All Art Forms

To the Editor:

I was sorry to see in Aaron Klein's column "An Illiberal Art Department" [The Dartmouth, July 25, 1996] that Mr. Klein had misunderstood, misinterpreted, and misquoted what I conveyed to him at our meeting in October of 1995.

In answer to his accusation that the Studio Art Department "dismisses" glassblowing as an art, let me point out that there is a senior major in our department whose main area of interest is glassblowing. This student is supported wholeheartedly in her endeavors to express herself through her medium of choice. Given our limited course offerings, she works within the area of sculpture while at Dartmouth, and pursues glassblowing at other institutions during her leave terms.

The Studio Art Department seeks to provide all undergraduate students with a fundamental understanding of the language of visual expression. Before taking any courses that focus on a particular skill (such as painting, printmaking, photography, architecture, metal construction, etc.), students are required to take the introductory courses of Basic Design, Basic Drawing, and/or Basic Sculpture (which is an introduction to three-dimensional work in various materials).

Klein had taken none of these pre-requisites when he requested transfer credit for glassblowing.

Our policy for transfer credit, as stated on page 674 of the ORC, is as follows: "Transfer credit is considered for Studio Art majors with junior standing. Prior to enrolling, discussion of the nature, content, and reason for taking the course should occur with the major advisor or chair of the department. At the completion of the course, a complete portfolio representing the course work will be assessed by the faculty to determine of it meets the department requirements. No more than two courses can be substituted for those required for the major."

Klein is not a major and has in fact taken no courses in our department. Under appropriate circumstances, we value the broadening influence of other institutions. Several of our majors are taking courses elsewhere this summer which will be credited by our department.

Klein accuses me of "snobbishness" and insinuates the same about my colleagues in the Studio Art Department. If the department had the staff and facilities to expand course offerings into other media, we would certainly be interested and eager to do so.

We have tried without success to secure the funds and equipment necessary to teach color photography and computer-assisted architectural graphics. The glassblowing studio that Klein refers to was an extra-curricular activity funded by the Hopkins Center as a part of the Design Workshops. Regrettably, it was discontinued due to budgetary constraints and lack of student interest.

Within the structure of the Studio Art curriculum, we wish to be as inclusive as possible. Recent witness to this was Kirsten Stromberg's Senior Fellowship installation of sound, mixed-media painting and musical instruments as well as senior exhibitions which have included drawings, paintings, photographs, sculpture, books, clothing, jewelry, and multi-media objects.