Strong currents threaten Tubestock

This year's Tubestock event may be in jeopardy due to river currents that are expected to be four to five times faster than normal.

The event, which usually attracts hundreds of students and local residents floating on the Connecticut River in inner tubes and on rafts, may pose far greater risks than usual due to extraordinarily fast river conditions.

According to Ken Alton, community relations representative for the New England Power Company, the river is flowing at over four times its normal rate for this time of year, conditions that he characterized as "dangerous" for people swimming and floating on tubes.

Alton said the river is currently flowing at a rate of 15,000 to 16,000 cubic feet per second, much faster than the normal summer rate of 4,000 cubic feet per second.

In addition, heavy rains expected Friday could increase the rate to 20,000 cubic feet per second by Saturday.

Even if the expected rain does not come, Alton said, the current flow-rates are still very dangerous.

Alton said the frequent rains of this summer have made the ground supersaturated. Therefore all rainwater runs immediately into the rivers rather than being absorbed by the ground.

"We don't want anyone hurt in that river. We don't want to put a damper on any event you have because we want the river utilized... but it is way beyond normal river conditions," Alton said.

Alton said the New England Power Company will be delivering letters to the Hanover and Norwich police departments on Friday expressing their concern for the safety of the Tubestock participants.

Dave Belden '97, who spoke with Alton about the event, sent an electronic mail message to the programming chairs of Greek organizations describing New England Power's concerns about river safety.

Hanover Chief of Police Nick Giaccone was unavailable for comment.

The New England Power Company, which operates the Wilder Dam, has been lowering the level of the river in order to deal with the expected influx of water, Alton said.

However, the dam can only regulate the river level, not its flow-rate, he said.

Richard Akerboom '80, Tubestock's organizer, said he had no comment about New England Power's statements.

While he said he still planned to hold Tubestock "at this time," he said he would "have to see" if the party will take place this Saturday as scheduled.

Akerboom began the event in 1987.

According to Akerboom, the annual party owes its genesis to his musical friends.

"A friend of mine's band used to practice in my basement. I lived on the river and one day we got the idea of putting them up on the deck," he said.

Although musical entertainment has remained a focal point, the event has grown to include hundreds of floating participants and multiple bands.

Still, Akerboom said his goal has never been to host the biggest party of the summer.

"I had no idea it would become a big deal like it is now," he said. "The objective is not to get the most people there, but to have fun."

As in the past, the event will be on the section of the river in front of Akerman's house in Norwich, about half a mile upstream from the Ledyard bridge. The bands will begin playing at 1 p.m. on Saturday.

Although some students feel Tubestock is the summer equivalent of Homecoming Weekend, Winter Carnival and Green Key, it is not an official Dartmouth College event.

Acting Director of Student Activities Linda Kennedy said it would be inappropriate for Dartmouth to make Tubestock a College event.

Kennedy said Tubestock is a private party, and making it an official College event would be as inappropriate as assuming control of Lebanon's Fourth of July celebration.

Even if this was not the case, Kennedy said the College would not be interested in taking over Tubestock.

"I feel that it is a very dangerous event - the combination of cold, fast flowing water and underage people drinking unregulated amounts of alcohol has the potential for a lot of bad things to happen," she said.

Although Kennedy said strong swimmers who do not participate in the drinking can have a good time at Tubestock, she expressed concern over the long swim upstream to reach the party's location.

Akerboom acknowledged intoxication could be dangerous for the floating party-goers.

"I think that if students, or anyone, drinks a lot, then whatever they are doing is potentially dangerous... I am relying on people to take care of themselves and their friends," he said.

Spencer Doyle '98 and Jim Roberts '98 are helping the campus prepare for this year's Tubestock by selling inner tubes and t-shirts to all who wish to participate.

Doyle said he and Roberts have no official connection with Akerboom's organization of the event. But, he added, "when I first came to Dartmouth, [Tubestock] is one of the things I heard about" and with which wanted to become involved.

Doyle said he expects to make money from the sales, but the work involved has been immense.

Doyle estimated that about 500 inner tubes had been sold as of Thursday afternoon. About 400 were sold to large groups, such as fraternities, dorms, and sororities, and these block orders will be delivered and inflated for the buyers, Doyle said.