'Screed' examines College social system

"Screed," the newest entrant into the student publication fray, forces students to re-examine the social system at the College.

Created and distributed Spring term, editor-in-chief and founder William Kartalopoulos '97. began the publication because of the lack of discussion in this area.

"Screed" is not affiliated with the College, and Kartalopoulos said he paid for its publication out of his own pocket.

"'[S]creed' is independent, and we like it that way. COSO has screwed over too many publications; we want nothing to do with them. I'm broke now, but it's worth it," he wrote recently in an electronic mail message.

To receive College funding a new publication must be recognized by the Council on Student Organizations. COSO gives official recognition and funding to new student groups.

Kartalopoulos questioned how the College doles out money to student publication groups.

"Dartmouth needs to reassess how much it values student press. In a town like Hanover, where every store has a virtual monopoly, it's ridiculous to tell publications they should find way to support themselves locally," he wrote.

"We either need to set up a network by which publications can look for grants from alumni, or we need to start giving more money to publications. I pay $50 a term for not having completed my [physical education] requirement; I can probably stand to pay more than $35 a term to support student activities."

In order to gain recognition, an organization must be open to all students, have at least 10 students interested in its creation, a faculty advisor and a constitution, according to Director of Student Activities Tim Moore.

COSO provides funding for the first issue of new student publications but a publication is expected to fund itself for subsequent issues.

The first issue of "screed" contains several articles ranging from anecdotes of campus news to political humor and caricatures.

Kartalopoulos said designing and publishing the issue was difficult.

"It's easy to come up with ideas. It's hard to get people to write. It's easy to put it together. It's hard to get it printed. It all happened on my Mac, using PageMaker. I did a lot of writing, all the graphics and all the layout," he said.

Kartalopoulos hopes to continue "screed" when he returns to the College.