Rain dampens Fourth of July celebrations

A dark, wet Fourth of July in the Upper Valley failed to stop community efforts to celebrate holiday festivities in the Hanover and Lebanon Independence Day ceremonies.

Early yesterday morning, as most Dartmouth students slept, about 500 Upper Valley residents watched Hanover's fourth annual Old-Fashioned Fourth of July celebration.

The parade which included approximately 30 acts include a varied slate of participants including musicians, dancers, antique cars, and animals.

The thirty-minute parade, which began near Lebanon Street, marched up Main Street onto Wheelock, eventually ending up on the Green.

Fred Salvatoriello, a resident of Hanover said, "For the size of the community... [the parade] was wonderful."

On the Green, the festivities featured an opening ceremony, and a host of activities: children's games, music, cheap food, and a petting zoo.

Music and dancing, sponsored by the local country station KIXX, began with the Green Mountain Highlanders--the Foggy Mountain Cloggers and the Flames were scheduled to follow.

But a sudden downpour at 11:00 a.m., followed by intermittent showers over the next half hour, sent much of the crowd home and the entertainment packing.

In Lebanon, The Spirit of America Fourth of July Celebration culminated last night with a twenty-minute fireworks display held at Lebanon High school.

About 600 die-hard fire-watchers stood in heavy rain to see the fireworks show in the sky.

Ilyas Colombowala '98, who watched in the rain along with several other Dartmouth students, said, "I had a great time despite the rain."

Bonnie Briggs, a resident of White River Junction said "It was wonderful. [The spectators] were brave to watch [the fireworks] in this kind of weather."