Suspect arrested in attack

Richard McEwan, 19, of Windsor, Vt., who was wanted by police for missing his May 22 arraignment for simple assault, turned himself in at the Hanover Police Department on Friday.

McEwan was originally arrested on April 9 for his involvement in separate nighttime attacks on two different male Dartmouth students by five assailants, both of which occurred near the Hopkins Center last November. He was released on personal recognizance bail in April.

After Hanover Police contacted him at home, McEwan voluntarily turned himself in, according to a Hanover Police press release. He was released on personal recognizance bail following his arrest on Friday.

McEwan's new arraignment for simple assault is scheduled for July 26.

In an interview last Thursday, Hanover Police Detective Sergeant Frank Moran told The Dartmouth that McEwan's arrest was imminent.

"We have an idea" where McEwan is, Moran said. "We'll get him. It is a matter of time."

Seamus Morrissey, 19, of White River Junction, Vt., pleaded guilty on April 24 to participating in the November attacks.

Morrissey, who was fined $600, assaulted one male Dartmouth student "by tackling him from behind, knocking him to the ground and kicking him several times in the back of the head," according to

a court document.

Another document stated Morrissey attacked the second student "by knocking him to the ground with a shoulder tackle and repeatedly kicking him in the back and about the back of his head."

In an interview yesterday, Moran said a third suspect, a juvenile, has also been charged for the attacks.

Two more suspects, an adult and a juvenile, have left the state, according to Moran. He added that police plan to extradite these two suspects so they can stand trial in New Hampshire.