Preparation for today's ceremony took months

Grounds workers, carpenters, electricians and administrators scrambled from December to this morning, trying to make today perfect for graduates and the College's 10,000 guests. About every office and organization on campus makes special plans for Commencement.

Facilities, Operations and Management spreads about 5,000 pounds of cellulose spray and grass seed to make campus green for graduates, Grounds Supervisor Bob Thebodo said.

"The Green is a tough environment which is prone to extensive damage," he said. "Keeping it green is a challenge."

"We have placed the cellulose everywhere that renovations are going on," Thebodo said. "The grass in front of the administrative buildings, on the Green, along Dartmouth Row and Tuck Circle all needed to be repaired."

Facilities, Operations and Management also repairs the paths on the Green for Commencement.

"We use jock sand, a very fine stone dust material to decrease the grade of the low spots on the walkway on the Green so that they no longer puddle," Thebodo said. "Commencement and Reunion is our deadline to make sure everything looks good."

Director of Conferences and Events Linda Hathorn said her office organizes the labor crew of carpenters, painters and electricians as early as April. The group is responsible for building the 48 foot long platform on which graduates will receive their diplomas.

Hathorn said the numerals on the Baker Tower clock are polished and the green light bulb is lit before every Commencement.

Manager of the Hanover Inn Matthew Marshall said, "In preparing to receive our guests we try to get a lot of things painted, and the chefs are very busy ordering food for the events.".

Various organizations in the news media are planning to send journalists to the College. Up to 15 journalists cover Commencement each year, Director of Public Affairs Roland Adams said.