Assembly presents summer goals

The 15 students who attended the first Student Assembly meeting of the term Tuesday night elected a Summer-term secretary and formulated a list of projects that they hope to tackle over the next few weeks.

SA Summer President Ben Hill '98 and vice president Simone Swink '98 presided over the meeting, which lasted only 15 minutes.

Hill said in accordance with its constitution, the Assembly is "solely project oriented" during the summer.

"We don't deal with issues at all," he said.

Service projects to be addressed this summer by the Assembly include ensuring that all residence halls are equipped with public telephones in their hallways and soap dispensers in their bathrooms, Hill said.

Another project to be researched will be the possibility of purchasing doorstops for campus buildings, he said. Other summer projects the Assembly plans to undertake include compiling a dining guide, conducting research for the purchase of a new Assembly computer and setting up additional BlitzMail computers around campus, Hill said.

Hill said the platform of President-elect Jon Heavey '97 included an examination of other ways to keep doors propped open besides using bricks.

Assembly Vice President-elect Chris Swift '98 said plans are in the works for the production of an "Over the Hill" upperclass facebook.

"Assuming we get approval from the deans ... we could have the upper-class facebook completed in as little as three weeks," Swift said.

Yuri Feldman '98 suggested the Assembly work on repairing the basketball hoop outside of the River Cluster Apartments.

During Summer term, at-large elections and petitions to join the Assembly are waived, so everyone who attended Tuesday's meeting became summer members of the Assembly.