Will to Excel may hit $500 million in June

The College has announced that it is likely the Will to Excel capital campaign will reach its $500 million goal in June.

Director of Development Publications Jack DeGange said the College had raised $490.3 million, 98.1 percent of the goal, at the end of April. Statistics for May will not be available until next month.

The five-year fundraising effort will conclude October 7.

Donors gave the college about $9 million in April and about $6 million in March.

All gifts to the College, regardless of size or source, are counted toward the campaign's total.

Fundraising will continue through the campaign's official end in October. DeGange said the goal will not be raised because the end of the campaign is so near.

Within the $500 million goal, there are several smaller goals, some of which have yet to be realized.

Although the College's three professional schools reached their funding goals, the undergraduate College has reached only 71 percent of the $237.9 million objective, DeGange said.

Campaign organizers hoped donors would endow 30 professorships, but only 19 have been given to the College, he said.

It costs about $1.5 million to endow a professorship, DeGange said.

The campaign successfully exceeded Arts and Science's goals for $40 million in financial aid money, he said. By the end of April, organizers had raised $46.3 million.

"That is the most gratifying achievement of the whole" campaign, DeGange said.

The campaign's total goal was raised to $500 million from $425 million in 1994, after the $30 million gift of the family of John Berry '44.

The Berrys' gift, the largest in the College's history, will be used to build the new $50 million Berry addition to Baker Library.

After the Berrys' gift, the rate of fundraising increased so much that $500 million seemed a feasible goal, DeGange said.

About 50 percent of the campaign's revenue has come from only 94 donors, who contributed more than $1 million each, DeGange said.

In the Campaign for Dartmouth, which concluded in 1982, 32 percent of the revenue came from 32 donors, he said.

DeGange said the campaign has been remarkably successful.

"It has been one of the very rewarding factors in this campaign that momentum has been sustained all the way through," he said.