College prepares for Green Key weekend

Despite the fact that finals are looming, students are planning to escape from Baker for this weekend's Green Key events.

"I've quite a bit of work but am going to go out. But I'm going to do some work ... go out during the day," Steve Newman '96 said. Newman said Green Key is his favorite out of the College's party weekends.

Holly Smith '99 has not been here as long as Newman, but she, too, says she is looking forward to the weekend.

"I'm excited to go to all the parties," Smith said.

These parties will begin this afternoon on Webster Avenue, where students can attend a "Block Party" this afternoon, with booths and free games.

Entertainment will be provided by the band Ominous Seapods, who will perform on the lawn of Phi Delta Alpha fraternity.

There will also be chariot rides in front of Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity, Coed Fraternity Sorority Council President Martin Dengler '97 said.

The event was organized by the CFSC in order to promote a cohesive vision of Greek programming, CFSC Programming Director Jake O'Shea '97 said.

"The motivation is to get one big social event organized by all the Greek organizations that will have a positive impact on Dartmouth," he added.

Panhellenic Council President Jess Russo '97 said she thinks the block party will be a success because the "whole Greek system is going to be together."

On Saturday, the Programming Board will sponsor an annual Spring Fair on the Green.

The fair will include events ranging from a velcro-olympics to booths sponsored by campus organizations and Greek houses, programming board member Karen Lefrak '98 said.

For example, Epsilon Kappa Theta Sorority will put up a tie-dye booth, and the Dartmouth Asian Organization will have a booth selling tea and making bookmarks, Lefrak said.

Lefrak said the Programming Board kept in mind the need to foster a sense of community among attendees as it planned the fair and chose booths.

We tried "to get games that are fitting with a real sense of community," she said.

There are also 12 registered Greek parties on Friday and Saturday night.