Neukom '64 will join Trustees

The College's Board of Trustees has selected William Neukom '64, senior vice president for law and corporate affairs at Microsoft Corporation, to become the board's newest member.

Neukom will join the board in June, assuming the seat vacated by E. John Rosenwald, Jr.

Rosenwald will step down as Trustee and chairman after the board's summer meeting in Hanover. Rosenwald has served two five-year terms as Trustee, including three years as chairman, according to a College press release.

Neukom said he is delighted to join the Board of Trustees.

"I feel very honored because it is a small board, and I feel a little bit sobered by it," he said. "With the opportunity to serve comes the responsibility of doing a good job."

The Board of Trustees is comprised of 16 members.

Neukom, a graduate of Stanford Law School and the father of two Dartmouth graduates and a current student, said he has much to offer the board.

"I have the perspective of a parent of recent graduates, of a current student and of a lawyer who is used to assimilating a lot of information and making sense of it," he said. "I have the perspective of a man who has been part of a fast growing high-technology company and the broad perspective of a person reared on the west coast."

"Dartmouth College gave me a first-rate education and has for ... three of my children," he added. "I admire what the school has accomplished and would like to be a part of helping it continue to excel."

While a student at the College Neukom was a member of Chi Heorot fraternity, and he served as its president in 1963-64. He was a member of the Interfraternity Council and the Glee Club, according to the release.

Neukom said the College's most outstanding feature is the quality of its teaching.

"From my college years, I remember the intelligence of my classmates and the accessibility of the faculty," he said. "I still think the College's most distinctive quality is its teaching."

Since graduating, Neukom has served as a class agent and as a member of the Dean's Council, an external advisory council that meets twice a year to advise on issues related to the academic programs.

Neukom is a member of Friends' Groups for the Tucker Foundation and the Dartmouth Outing Club, according to the release.

Neukom is a member of the board of trustees of several Seattle organizations, including the Chamber of Commerce, the YMCA, the Corporate Council for the Arts, the Washington Chapter of the Nature Conservancy, the Seattle Art Museum, the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, the University of Washington Foundation and the University of Puget Sound, the release states.