Heavyweights sweep BU, Rutgers

The men's heavyweight crew team swept its way to victory, defeating both Boston University and Rutgers last Saturday.

The race, scheduled to take place on the Rutgers course, was moved to Princeton's man-made course because the Rutgers course was flooded.

Despite the change of venues the rowers still had to endure rough conditions.

"It's hard to say how we were rowing because we had a tailwind and some nasty chops," Todd Newman '96 said. "We really rowed with guts. If we had raced on a flat course, I think we could haven beaten both the other boats pretty badly."

This win could be key for the Big Green, since it comes after a lackluster performance against UNH two weeks ago.

"We were really understroking against UNH, just trying to keep a smooth rhythm and experiment with our lineup a little bit. This weekend just shows that we're just getting better and better each week," Newman said.

One factor Newman cited as being crucial to the team's improvement was the highly competitive practice regiment.

"We've had two straight weeks of really good practices," Newman said. "The competition between the varsity and junior varsity boats is incredibly intense. Guys are competing for seats every day."

Up next for the Big Green is a trip to Providence, R.I. to take on perennial crew powerhouse Brown.

Although Brown is usually regarded as the team to beat, this is not necessarily the case this year.

"Brown isn't head and shoulders above the rest of the teams like they've been in the past. The competition has been evening out all across the board, so we're pretty psyched to go down there and row well," Newman said.