Cluster committee finalizes designs

The East Wheelock Cluster Building Committee, comprised of students and faculty, is working to finalize the architectural designs for the buildings that will form the proposed East Wheelock "supercluster."

Dean of Residential Life Mary Turco, who chairs the committee, said the committee has met twice since the beginning of the term to discuss the scope of the project and the construction schedule.

Turco said the committee is focusing much of its efforts on the $500,000 renovation of the cluster's faculty associate house at 13 East Wheelock Street, which is adjacent to the cluster.

College Architect George Hathorn said the building, currently a five-unit apartment which houses College faculty and staff, will be renovated into a two-story, 3,000-square-foot residence.

Hathorn said the first floor will serve as both a living space for the faculty associate and as a "somewhat" public area designed to host cluster programming events.

Turco said these programs will include discussions, receptions, lectures, debates and dinners involving well-known national scholars. Turco said East Wheelock residents will pay an additional $60 each term to support program offerings.

Hathorn said the College plans to maintain two existing apartments at 13 East Wheelock. He said the apartments "may end up as rental units" or possible housing for visitors and guests participating in cluster programs.

Turco said the College will also renovate Brace Commons, the ground-level meeting area for the cluster.

Turco said internal space in Brace Commons will be configured to include faculty offices, a snack bar and the existing multipurpose room.

Hathorn said the College will modify the current Brace Commons storage space to house two offices and a reception room for the cluster dean, the faculty associate and an administrative assistant.

Turco said the College will renovate the current multipurpose room with new furnishings and continue to host student cultural, educational and social programs.

The total cost of the cluster renovations will be about $90,000 Turco said.

Hathorn said the snack bar dining area in Brace Commons will be an evening food service after 10 p.m. Hathorn said food will be prepared elsewhere, then brought to the snack bar.

Turco said the committee has yet to decide whether the dining area will be managed through Dartmouth Dining Services or a student authority.

In Zimmerman and Andres Halls the current fourth-floor study rooms will function as freshmen seminar rooms large enough to accommodate approximately 20 students, she said.

Because numerous summer conferences take place in the East Wheelock Cluster, Turco said renovations in Brace Commons, Zimmerman and Andres Halls will not begin until mid-August, and should finish in two to three weeks.

Turco said construction on 13 East Wheelock should begin in June and continue through the summer. Turco said the committee hopes the construction will be completed by early September.