Class Day representatives announced

The Senior Executive Committee announced last night the names of students who will represent the senior class at the 1996 Class Day ceremony, which will be held on June 8, the day before the 226th Commencement Exercises.

Seniors will meet at the BEMA that morning to hear speeches by class leaders, professors and administrators.

The Senior executive Committee selected a class orator, class historians, a faculty speaker and several Commencement marshals.

Monica Oberkofler, who won the Barge Speech Contest last term, was selected as class orator.

Class of 1996 President Brendan Doherty said the class orator traditionally delivers a speech with a literary theme that relates to seniors' experiences at the College.

Oberkofler said she is delighted by the opportunity to be class orator.

"It is a huge honor," she said. "I've got a bunch of ideas rolling around in my head."

"It is very much a classic literary speech about five minutes long reflecting on the four years at Dartmouth," she said. "I'm not really sure what theme I am going to take."

The class historians will be Dan Gonzalez, Rudey Harris, Kate Shanahan and Tom Vale. Class historians "speak together and perform skits and the like which are a humorous look back at our four years at Dartmouth," Doherty said.

Doherty said the historians were selected because they are known to be funny people.

They are "people who contributed to the class in some way and who would be able to give a humorous and light look back at our four years," Doherty said.

The committee choose Education Professor Robert Binswanger as the faculty speaker.

Doherty said the committee chose Binswanger as faculty orator because "he is a great professor whom the class wanted to honor."

The Commencement marshals will be Laura Bennett, Dani Brune, Shakari Cameron, Tom Caputo, Calvin Daniels, Lauren Demski, Ruth Morgan, Jim Rich and Doherty, who, as president, is automatically the head marshal.

Commencement marshals "will lead our class to the Green for Commencement," Doherty said. "After receiving their diplomas, they will help to raise and lower our class."

Doherty said it was difficult for the committee to choose class marshals.

Caputo said the committee "was looking for people who have made a significant contribution to the Class of 1996."

Caputo, who is the Class of 1996 vice president, said Class Day is for "members of the class, members of the community as well as family members interested in attending."

He said it is unclear whether there will be any kind of separation ceremony the evening before Commencement this year.