Assembly discusses attendance issues

Lacking enough members to vote on a resolution last night that called for a constitutional amendment on meeting attendance, the Student Assembly discussed the resolution and committee activity.

In order to ratify an amendment to the constitution, three-fourths of the voting members of the Assembly must pass it.

Only 26 of the 29 members needed were present last night, so the resolution could not be brought to a vote.

Sponsored by Ben Hill '98 and Case Dorkey '99, the attendance amendment was first presented three weeks ago and has been discussed and tabled every week since.

The attendance amendment, which calls for members to lose their voting status on the Assembly if they miss a combination of three general or committee meetings each term, was altered again last week to gain more support among members.

Dorkey presented changes he made to the attendance amendment and answered questions posed by Assembly members about the resolution.

Changes made to the amendment include a call for attendance to be taken at the beginning and end of meetings, for an absence to be excused if the meeting's time has been changed and for members who lose their voting privileges due to absence to be allowed to retain their committee positions.

Dorkey said he and Hill tried to address two sides to the attendance resolution with the changes.

Dorkey said some members were concerned the amendment would take power away from the membership and internal affairs committee.

He said the amendment, in its newest form, would add to the role of the membership and internal affairs committee by giving the committee the power to evaluate the status of members at the end of each term whose voting privileges had been revoked.

The Assembly would retain its current rules governing removal of members which states that the committee must meet to review members and decide if a member may remain a part of the Assembly.

The other issue of concern was the lack of incentive for members to attend meetings, Dorkey said.

He said members will have an incentive to attend meetings if they know they will lose their voting privileges otherwise.

"We are really trying to work on something the whole Assembly can vote for," Dorkey said. "This is a pretty good compromise for both sides that addresses the goals of both sides."

Assembly member Kihara Kiarie '96 said he did not like the idea of an attendance amendment when it was first presented, but after four weeks of discussion about and changes to the resolution, he has changed his mind.

"I'm going to support this because people need to come to meetings and put their votes up," Kiarie said.

Committee chairs discussed progress made since the last Assembly meeting.

Laura Bennett '96, vice president of administrative and faculty relations, said she and members of her committee met with a member of the Board of Trustees to discuss some proposals to increase student involvement with the Trustees.

"This is a step in getting student input on the Board of Trustees," Bennett said.

Dominic LaValle '99, vice president of academic affairs, said Assembly members are "still plugging away" at the on-line course guide.

He said the Freshman Council has also expressed an interest in assisting with the course guide.

Monica Oberkofler '96, vice president of student organizations, said freshmen have submitted applications for the Committee on Student Organizations and three Assembly members will assist in the interview process to choose COSO members.

Hill, the Assembly's treasurer, said the Assembly gave $125 to The Beacon from the undergraduate publication fund.