Students gear up for elections

Student Assembly presidential and vice presidential candidates as well as students running for class president, class vice president, Green Key Honor Society and the Committee on Standards are starting up their campaigns with student elections only three weeks away.

The candidates for president are Sarah Cho '97, Jon Heavey '97, Unai Montes-Irueste '98, Scott Rowekamp '97, Steve Salemi '97 and Jeremy Segal '97, according to Associate Director of Student Activities Linda Kennedy.

The vice presidential candidates are Joan Ai '98, Bill Kartalopoulos '97, and Chris Swift '98, Kennedy said. Mario Martinus '98, who submitted a petition to run for vice president, informed The Dartmouth last night that he has dropped out of the race.

Meredith Epstein '97 will be running for Assembly vice president as a write-in candidate. Epstein is in London this term on a Music Department Foreign Study Program.

Pamela Saunders '97 is running for re-election as class president and Matt Shafer '97 is running for reelection as vice president.

Kevin Walsh '98 is running against incumbent Class of 1998 President Randi Barnes. John Yalcin '98 is challenging incumbent Vice President Chris Atwood '98.

Chris Emond '99 will take on current 1999 Class President Frode Eilertsen, and Vice President Rex Morey '99 will be challenged by Dave Risk '99.

Students will vote for candidates via computer on the World Wide Web April 16 and 17. Students can vote on private computers or computers which will be set up in the Collis Center.

This year's candidates will face the new campaign rules adopted by the Election Advisory Committee in February.

Candidates will now be allowed to begin campaigning once their petition has been approved. Formerly, the committee gave candidates only one week to campaign. Some students have already begun to hang campaign posters.

There will be a designated candidate bulletin board in Collis, and each candidate may place one poster on a bulletin board in each residence hall, the guidelines state.

Candidates will not be allowed to campaign on the outside steps of Collis or inside the building on the election days.

Presidential and vice presidential candidates have a spending limit of $150, the guidelines state. Candidates for at-large Assembly membership and class offices can spend up to $100 promoting their campaigns.

Each Assembly candidate may make a single bulk Hinman mailing, which costs $35.

All candidates are prohibited from sending mass BlitzMail messages as part of their campaign.

Instead of voting for 24 at-large members of the Assembly as in years past, freshmen, sophomores and juniors will vote for eight members of their respective classes.