Recent crime does not represent a surge

With a number of recent crimes in the area, some students say they are taking extra precautions to stay safe, but officials say that there is no real surge of crime in Hanover. During Winter term, the campus has experienced a string of computer thefts, acts of vandalism and the assault of a woman near Occom Pond.

These events came on the heels of a Fall term in which Robinson Hall was burglarized, the campus cemetery was vandalized, two students were attacked with pepper spray, and two other students were beaten by groups of attackers outside the Hopkins Center for the Performing Arts.

Yet officials from the Hanover Police and Dartmouth Safety and Security said there is no evidence to suggest that Hanover is experiencing a sustained increase in crime.

"To us, they run in spurts," Hanover Police Chief Nick Giaccone said. "There could be a rash of unusual situations. When you come to the end of the year, it all seems to balance out."

College Proctor Bob McEwen agreed with Giaccone, saying that "there is not a trend at this point."

"I wouldn't say that it's normal, but I wouldn't say it was unusual," he said.

Giaccone noted that while the number of recent thefts was not out of the ordinary, "the attacks [at the Hopkins Center] were an anomaly."

"The trend I do see is individuals becoming more combative," Giaccone said, adding that "we notice it more with students."

Safety and Security Crime Prevention Officer Rebel Roberts said that on campus, "we have seen an increase in domestic problems" such as assault and unwanted attention.

McEwen said that Safety and Security has responded to increased criminal activity on campus.

"We've increased our foot patrols in different areas of the campus," put up crime alert bulletins, and are planning to add more blue-light emergency phones, he said. "We're doing what we can."

McEwen praised students for their role in preventing crime on campus.

"People are reporting things more ... Students play a crucial role," he said, pointing to the number of students who assisted Safety and Security in their investigation of the November attacks on two Dartmouth males at the Hopkins Center.

Rhona Dalison '99 said the recent incidents on campus have changed her behavior.

"I've been more careful... about going places at night," she said.

Mike Beckerman '98 said that he was "concerned" about the crimes that have occurred on campus, but that he still thinks Hanover is a safe place and is taking no special precautions.