Abaris may become eighth senior society

An anonymous group of more than 30 seniors announced yesterday that they have formed another coeducational senior society.

The Abaris senior society, named after an ancient Greek mystic, will become the College's eighth senior society if it is recognized by the Office of Residential life. The group is petitioning for College recognition, according to a press release from Abaris.

Another coeducational secret society, Griffin, announced its existence in October. These are the first senior societies formed since Phoenix, an all-female secret society, was formed in 1982.

Abaris will give leaders of student organizations a forum to discuss "issues relevant to being a student at Dartmouth College," according to the group's press release.

The release states that the society will try to "enhance developmental aspects of leadership among a collection of Dartmouth's proven leaders."

After new members from the junior class are selected in February, "senior members will reveal their identities to the entire campus," the release states.

The release states that Abaris "will strive to promote educational and multicultural opportunities which will contribute to the cohesiveness of the Dartmouth community."

Members of Abaris intend to publish a biweekly column in The Dartmouth, according to the release.

Director of Health Resources Gabrielle Lucke, who will be Abaris' adviser, said, The group's members "are pulling together on a campus where so many people are overextended."

Lucke said the students asked her to be their adviser because she already knew some of the students well.

The Griffin senior society said its mission is also to bring people together.

A founding member of Griffin, who asked to remain anonymous, told The Dartmouth in October that Griffin "is headed by a single purpose, which is the integration of the various corners of the Dartmouth campus."

Senior societies have existed at Dartmouth since 1886, when the first, Sphinx, was created. Sphinx is an all-male secret senior society, as is Dragon, which was founded in 1898.

Cobra and Phoenix are all-female secret societies. Casque and Gauntlet and Fire and Skoal are coed, and their memberships are public.

Lucke said the members of Abaris are not interested in obtaining a building at this point.

"At this point that is not part of their agenda," she said.

Dragon has a building on North College Street beside Delta Gamma Sorority. Sphinx is housed in a "tomb" on East Wheelock Street behind the Fayerweathers Cluster.

Cobra and Phoenix do not have their own buildings.

Dean of Residential Life Mary Turco previously told The Dartmouth she believes Griffin will petition for a physical space at some point.

Abaris co-President Garrett Gil de Rubio '96 could not be reached for comment.