Students talk about Greek diversity issues

Sigma Nu fraternity sponsored a community discussion last night itled "Race Issues, Diversity and the Greek system" to talk about the way the Greek system relates to minority groups on campus and to the Dartmouth community in general.

About 30 students participated in the discussion moderated by College Christian Chaplain Gwendolyn King and Director of Health Resources Gabrielle Lucke.

King and Lucke began the discussion by creating a list of ideas students think of when they think of the Greek system. Students generated a list of more than 20 ideas including "mainstream Dartmouth," "self-segregation," "tradition," "60 percent of students," "beer" and "continuity and social support."

After creating the list, King pointed out the Greek system is a complicated structure and "when someone says they are upset at the Greek system, you don't know what part they mean."

Some students said a person can look at a Dartmouth male and know what fraternity he is in. Fraternities claim diversity and may be racially diverse, but they are still a homologous group, some students said.

Alpha Phi Alpha brother Michael Roberts '96 echoed a statement made by Chris Swift '98 at the town meeting on Feb. 1, prompted by the recent incidents of hate speech, about stepping out of one's comfort zone.

Roberts said, "Nobody is willing to step outside of their comfort zone, but nobody has to at Dartmouth."

He added the goal of a liberal education is broad-based and it seems the Greek system is not consistent with the goals of the institution.

Roberts said diversity goes beyond discussing issues to include education and action as well.

Roberts said solutions to more diversity need to come from "the top down and the bottom up" -- from both the administration and students.

Derek Shendell '96, a brother at Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity also spoke about the importance of taking action.

"The whole thing about action is that you have to get people who wouldn't usually think about these issues to do it," he said. "Just asking a question is an action."

Some members of the Greek system argued that the sorority rush system allows for more diversity within the sorority system.

Seniors Jessica Neyman and Amy Harman, sisters at Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, spoke about the differences between the sororities and the fraternities on campus.

While women must visit the six sorority houses during rush period, men "hang out at a frat house, find one they like, then get asked to be a brother the next year," Neyman said.

Harman said the rush process and the size of the sororities make them more diverse and less prone to stereotypes than fraternities.

King said there is no rush system for the historically black fraternities, Alpha Phi Alpha and Kappa Alpha Psi, and sorority, Delta Sigma Theta.

Calvin Daniels '96 said he felt no pressure to join a black fraternity. "I didn't choose to be a part of a black fraternity, I chose to be a part of Alpha Phi Alpha," he said.

Other students said it makes sense for fraternities to be socially segregated because people join for the brotherhood aspects and to be with people who have similar interests.

David Walthall '98 said certain kinds of people join certain houses, which is good for the members, but noted that "a system that is segregated is the main social option" on campus.

But Kihara Kiarie '96, a brother at Beta Theta Phi fraternity said people join fraternities and sororities for many different reasons, and King added no one can assume why someone has joined a Greek house based on the house it is.

Roberts said groups who co-sponsor events need to attend them and the administration needs to say that co-sponsorship mandates attendance.