DDS initiates dialogue with students on services

In an effort to increase student input in programming and on-campus dining changes, Dartmouth Dining Services has begun a series of roundtable discussions designed to initiate dialogue between DDS officials and students.

Held in the Tindle Lounge of Thayer Dining Hall, the discussions are catered and attended by randomly selected undergraduates and several DDS employees.

"Roundtable discussions were started to get in touch with our customers," said Pete Napolitano, director of the College's Dining Services.

Initiated to pool student input on projects already developed or in progress, the focus of the roundtable discussions have recently changed to concentrate on programming and on-campus dining changes which are in development.

"We've used the roundtable discussions in the past for students to comment on already developed programs," Napolitano said.

"We wanted to find out how we were and where our customers wanted us to precede," he said.

DDS "is taking a look at what we are doing and what we have done ... in order to enhance changes to traditional meal plan," Napolitano said. "We need to look outside the box we are currently operating in."

Two roundtable discussions have already taken place with a third planned for later this month.

"I thought it was really well-planned and organized," said Kara McGee '97, who attended the last dinner. "I thought it was a good way for DDS to get information from the students."

During the evening, Napolitano raised several questions regarding DDS services including a proposed change of menu at Collis Cafe and Full Fare.

Potential changes for Collis include eliminating the salad bar, introducing a retail bakery program, and expanding the beverage selections by providing an array of unique coffees, hot chocolates, and cappuccinos.

Napolitano said the change would also eliminate Collis Cafe entrees and the deli, but he added that these operations would be absorbed to existing facilities.

Napolitano said he is already looking into expanding Home Plate operating hours or keeping the venue open on Saturdays because of input from students at the roundtable discussion.

"DDS sees that Home Plate is meeting a need. We will try to enhance that operation," he said.

Napolitano said he also sees changes for such traditional dining locations as Full Fare and Food Court.

McGee said, "In general, any kind of change is good. Although the changes at Collis wouldn't directly affect me, any change that DDS makes is bound to be good."

Recommendations for Full Fare tossed around by students and administrators included lowering prices for Full Fare meals or eliminating Full Fare altogether in order to bring in national companies including Taco Bell or Pizza Hut.

All students said they enjoyed the atmosphere and the discussion at the dinner.

"It was very nice and I enjoyed myself. It seems like DDS officials are generally flexible," McGee said. "DDS isn't something that is first and foremost in students minds. This discussion was a good way to deliver their views and plans."

"I will definitely tell more students about this," McGee said.