Rich Gets Pat on the Back

Last week when I went to the Hop to check my mail, I found a notice that said the Hinman mail system will no longer accept Federal Express packages. As I looked up, I saw a fellow senior and asked him about it. After talking for a few minutes about the problems this would cause, he went to find out more about the situation. To my relief, and to the relief of other seniors in particular, two days later a notice was in my HB claiming that an agreement had been reached so that Federal Express packages would still be accepted.

That fellow senior I had talked to was our Student Assembly President Jim Rich. I want to thank him for his efforts to solve a potentially large problem. In a greater sense, I am glad that Jim has brought some respect back to the Student Assembly. Unlike previous leaders who were overly concerned with personal agendas or caught in viscious infighting, he has focused on the needs of students. He has been less concerned with headlines and promoting issues. Students have always been extremely critical of campus leaders. How many times do you remember articles in The D thanking a president for "just doing a good job?" Well, the day has come. I know that many students, especially seniors, will always consider the Assembly a joke, but I hope the next leader of the Student Assembly will continue to bring credibility back to the SA. Thanks Jim.