June 3, 2024 | Latest Issue

Post Office places Fed Ex plans on hold

The College announced yesterday that Federal Express mail and packages will still be delivered through the Hinman Post Office, reversing a prior decision to stop accepting Fed Ex packages sent to the student post office.

According to a letter to Hinman Box holders, "the Student Assembly, led by Jim Rich '96, has agreed to work with the Hinman staff to find a long term solution to our package delivery problems."

The proposed halt of deliveries stems from Fed Ex's refusal to pay a service fee instituted in 1994 by Facilities, Operations and Management for all packages delivered to HBs.

"The [Assembly] felt that a lot of students get their medicines and plane tickets through Fed Ex. What's going to happen if Hinman stops accepting them?" SA Vice-President of Communications Jonah Sonnenborn '99 asked.

Sonnenborn said Rich met with Assistant Director of Facilities, Operations and Management Bill Hochstin and asked him to "hold off on not accepting packages."

Rich said Hochstin "has been extremely receptive to finding a solution and certainly does not want to inconvenience students at all."

"We are lucky to get this postponement because students obviously need this service," Sonnenborn said.

Hochstin said next Tuesday he will meet with the SA committee on student life and begin to look at "how we can come up with a solution."

"We haven't come to the solutions yet, but we told Fed Ex we will continue as we have in the past and take packages in and distribute them," Hochstin said.

"I'm eager to work with students and get them involved," he said.

During the 1993-1994 school year, the post office handled 3,449 packages delivered by Fed Ex.