Man charged with Hop attacks

Hanover Police have charged Sea'mus Morrissey, 18, from White River Junction, Vt. with allegedly attacking and beating two Dartmouth students near the Hopkins Center for the Performing Arts in November.

Morrissey, who was charged with simple assault on Dec. 7, was released on bond, according to Hanover Police Sergeant Patrick O'Neil. Morrissey's arraignment is scheduled for Jan. 24.

In the first attack, which took place Nov. 17, a male sophomore was allegedly tackled and beaten by two males of high school age in the courtyard between the Hopkins Center and the Hanover Inn. The sophomore was taken to Dick's House for observation, but sustained no serious injuries.

The victim, who asked to remain anonymous, said, "I was in the courtyard of the Hop area. The kid came up behind me and tackled me."

"I screamed once or twice and he took off," he said.

Four days later, another male Dartmouth student was allegedly knocked down by five or six boys, apparently of high school age. The boys struck the Dartmouth junior in the head and kicked him several times before fleeing down the alley between the Hopkins Center and the Hood Museum of Art, College Proctor Bob McEwen told The Dartmouth in November.

The second victim was treated for facial bruises at Dick's House, McEwen said.

Hanover Police Chief Nick Giaconne said he believes Morrissey was involved in both attacks. If guilty, Morrissey could face up to one year in jail and $2,000 in fines.

Giaconne said he thinks Hanover Police will arrest additional suspects before the end of the month.

Morrissey was unavailable for comment.

Hanover Police created a composite sketch and made the arrest using information obtained almost entirely from the second victim, according to the first student attacked.

"I had nothing to do with the investigation at all," the first victim said. "They got a statement from me and that was it."

Although he said he saw his attacker well enough to recognize him, the student said he is unsure whether it was Morrissey.

"Hanover Police has not been in contact with me for over a month," the first victim said.