Investigation yet to yield suspects

The one-month investigation of the Hanover computer and electronic thefts that occurred over Winter break has yet to turn up any suspects.

While no arrests have been made, the investigation by the Hanover Police Department and Safety and Security remains alive.

Hanover Police Sergeant Frank Moran said the case is "still active" but that the investigators "don't have any solid suspects."

Moran said he had not heard of any further incidents of theft.

"We're still working on the case ... It's not a dead issue," Moran said.

Safety and Security investigator Lauren Cummings '72 agreed the case is "very much active" but said "the leads we've developed at this time haven't yielded anything concrete -- yet."

The burglaries, which occurred in eight different Dartmouth student residences as well as in the Rockefeller Center for the Social Sciences, were reported between Dec. 16 and Dec. 27, while most of the occupants of the rooms were away from Hanover.

There were three burglaries in the off-campus apartments at 41 West Wheelock St., one at 6 South College St., one at Chi Heorot fraternity, one at Maxwell residence hall, two in Andres residence hall and one at the Rockefeller Center.

Most of the stolen equipment included either computers or expensive electronic equipment, such as stereo systems and televisions.

Moran said although the investigators have been unable to make a solid connection between any of the incidents, they suspect several of the burglaries were related.

"We believe there's a connection between several" of the burglaries. Moran said. "There's a strong likelihood the same individual did most of these."

Moran said the investigators have not received any useful leads, mostly because the burglaries occurred during Winter break, when so many students were away from Hanover.

"Due to the time of year, we haven't had any good information to work off of," Moran said. He added that a lot of crimes are solved because of the observations of others in the vicinity, but that this particular investigation is "real tricky because there was really no one in the area."

"It's not a dead issue ... It just hasn't been real promising to date," he added.

Moran said he has contacted the victims of the burglaries occasionally over the past month to keep them updated on the progress of the investigation, but "we haven't had a lot of good news to share with them."

While Moran said the police are not giving up yet, he conceded the more time that passes after a crime is committed, the less likely it will be solved. "If you play the odds, I'd say that is a fair assessment," he said.

Dan Bloom '96, who had his Powerbook computer stolen from his room at Heorot, said he is not surprised the investigation has not produced any suspects.

"I didn't expect they were going to be able to do a lot" with the investigation], he said. "There weren't a lot of good leads."