High-tech interviewing available

Soon it will be possible for Dartmouth students to be interviewed by potential employers around the world -- without ever leaving Hanover.

A video conferencing system donated by Proctor and Gamble Corporation, known as Viewnet, will allow employers and candidates to converse face to face from thousands of miles away.

Prospective employees from the College, the Amos Tuck School of Business Administration and the Thayer School of Engineering will all have access to the system.

The system, which was installed at the Tuck School in December, "looks like a computer with a camera and speakers," said Kathryn Hutchinson, the interim director of Career Services. "The employee and employer can see each other on screens."

Becky Rice, the Tuck School's recruiting coordinator, said, "We really hope it helps students. We see it as an opportunity that benefits students and companies that cannot easily come to Hanover."

The Tuck School has already scheduled three interviewing sessions. Many students from the College, the Tuck School and the Thayer School will participate in each session, Rice said.

The device may be more useful for small employers, since "they have a more difficult time knowing their recruiting needs, and this technology will allow them to recruit immediately," she said. Small firms often lack the resources to travel to Hanover.

Viewnet technology will be available to employers via systems currently available in major cities throughout the country, she said.

"Employers have to pay a fee, which is a lot cheaper than coming to Hanover and staying at a hotel," she said. "It is pretty popular."

Hutchinson said she contacted officials at a number of universities that already use the system, such as Pennsylvania State, before accepting the gift. She said she thinks students will be eager to use the device.

"Because students grew up with technology, they are very comfortable with the system," she said.

Hutchinson said this new system will allow the College to better promote itself.

"The system allows us to stretch ourselves across the country and promote Dartmouth talent," she added.

Judy Durkee, an executive secretary at the Thayer School, said she will be conducting a test run with mock interviews on Friday..

Students seem pleased with this new opportunity.

"It sounds like a really good idea. It would make it easier to talk to employers in California than it otherwise would be," Katie Burt '96 said. Burt said she is looking for a job on the West Coast.

Some seniors, feeling great time pressure in their job searches, suggested having Viewnet capabilities in students' rooms.

Darin Carrasco '96 said the College's location has not hurt his job search because he times his interviews during the periods between terms.

Amena Saeed '96 said Dartmouth is know for its effective corporate recruiting methods.

"Dartmouth has a good recruiting process. Friends have transferred here for that opportunity," Saeed said. "The Internet interviews sound great."

The system was given to Dartmouth because Proctor and Gamble has a favorable relationship with the College, said Ford Allen '84, Proctor and Gamble category sales manager said.

"We are using existing technology to meet our hiring goals," he said. "We are exploring Viewnet as potential, but we will still have on-campus contact. The system serves both [the school and Proctor and Gamble] very well."

The video conferencing system is available at Duke University, Georgia Technical Institute, the University of Tennessee, and the University of Virginia, Allen said.

Georgia Tech. has been using Viewnet for over a year, said Georgia Tech's Career Planning Director John Hannaback.

"It hasn't taken off in popularity yet. We've set up a lot of single case interviews," he said. "Last fall, we had one full schedule of eleven half-hour interviews."

Hannaback said over 100 college campuses use Viewnet and more than 1,000 employers have Viewnet or Intel, a similar system.