Forbes: Flat tax will benefit youth

Republican presidential candidate Steve Forbes told The Dartmouth his flat tax plan will benefit young people. Forbes spoke to a crowd of about 300 people at Crystal's Family Restaurant in Epsom last night.

With the rising cost of education, "students will have a better future with my plan," Forbes said.

He said his tax reform will better enable parents to afford the rising cost of college education and ensure better job opportunities for students once they graduate.

Forbes said his tax plan also serves to improve the quality of life for all Americans.

"In America the difference between economics and values is nonexistent," he said.

He called the existing tax code "anti-family and anti-growth."

He said his plan has met opposition from Washington because it is a "threat to Washington and to lawyers, lobbyists and special interests."

"Washington's favorite toy, the tax code, will be taken away from them," he said. "You can give them a lump of coal in return."

Forbes advocates parental control of education and reducing the influence of the National Education Association.

He said he hopes Sen. Bob Dole, R-Kan., will come out in support of the flat tax when he visits the College this weekend.

Forbes said as president he also plans to confront the escalating cost of college education.

"When I am president, we will clear our thoughts in Washington and ask why they can't get costs under control," he said.

Forbes said downsizing is a necessity for the federal government.

"You have had to do it, every business has had to do it, now it's Washington's time to do it," he said.

The only pro-choice candidate in the Republican primary, Forbes said he supports parental notification in abortion cases.

He also supports revamping social security, lowering interest rates and instituting term limits for congressmen.

All of his programs share the common theme of "giving individuals more responsibility," Forbes said.

"If we do these things, our best days are ahead," he said. "These reforms get to the heart of the American dream: each of us having the chance to move ahead."

Forbes said he was very pleased with the results of the most recent Dartmouth College-WMUR poll in which he positioned himself as Dole's strongest competition.

He received 18 percent of the vote, while Dole received 37 percent.

"Now it is a one-on-one race," Forbes said. "Now the race is between politics of the past and a vibrant vision for the future."

Forbes said he decided to run for president to fulfill his vision for America.

"I know from reading American history ... that things just don't happen," he said. "It takes leadership to make them happen. The other candidates were not providing it."

Forbes said he will visit the College before the Feb. 20 Republican primary.

He last visited the College on Dec. 6, when he spoke at the Hanover Inn.

Sixteen members of the Conservative Union at Dartmouth went to the event to show support for Forbes.

Bradford Davis '99, Forbes' regional coordinator, arranged transportation for Dartmouth students.