Finnish PM speaks at the College

Finnish Prime Minister Paavo Lipponen said the European Union is critical for maintaining peace in post-Cold War Europe when he visited Dartmouth at the end of last term.

Lipponen, who studied at Dartmouth for a year in 1960, came to Hanover on Nov. 30 as part of his first trip to the United States as prime minister.

He said he formulated a deep interest in foreign affairs during his year at the College.

Lipponen said the EU is crucial to preserving security in Europe and he supports incorporating Russia into the union.

"The Finnish government thinks enlargement [of the EU] is vital," he said. "It is the best way of supporting stability and democracy."

Finland became a member of the EU last January.

Lipponen said the current debate over American involvement in Bosnia is relevant to discussions of European security.

"It is very important that we have the United States present in

Europe ... but we also realize many questions are being asked in the United States about costs and risks," he said.

Lipponen, who came to Dartmouth after meeting with Vice President Al Gore to garner support for NATO involvement in Bosnia, said Finland would accept the alliance's leadership in such an operation.

Lipponen said Finland has traditionally maintained good relations with the United States.

"We have developed a productive relationship with your country," he said.

Lipponen, a member of Parliament and chairman of the Social Democratic Party, was elected prime minister in April of 1995. During his year at Dartmouth, Lipponen studied literature and philosophy.

Lipponen said Dartmouth has changed greatly since he studied here and that he approves of the changes.

"I am speechless at this building in particular," Lipponen said. "I could spend the whole hour we have reminiscing about old times."

He said he decided to study at Dartmouth because he was fluent in English and was interested in international relations.

Lipponen, who lived in Cohen Residence Hall, said his best memory of Dartmouth is of the friendships he made with dormmates.

He also said he would never forget the foliage in the fall.

Lipponen was a member of the swimming team and also served food and worked in the kitchen at Thayer Dinning Hall to finance his education at the College.

At the conclusion of the discussion, Lipponen donated several books of Finnish literature and poetry to Baker Library.

Lipponen and an entourage of several ambassadors arrived at the College on Thursday afternoon from Washington, D.C.

After spending the night on campus, Lipponen and his entourage traveled to Madison, Maine, to visit a paper mill co-owned by American and Finnish companies.

Lipponen spoke to about 20 faculty and students in the 1902 Room of Baker Library.

The discussion was closed to the public and open only to a small group of invited students, faculty and alumni. Hosted by the John Sloan Dickey Center for International Understanding, the discussion was moderated by Acting Director of the Center Gene Lyons.