English department submits proposal for two new FSPs

The English department has agreed on the design of a new foreign study program to replace the current two-term FSP in London, and will soon submit a proposal to the Committee on Off-Campus Activities for its examination and approval.

The proposal could go before COCA "in a matter of a week," English Department Chair William Cook said. COCA final gives final approval to proposed FSPs.

If accepted, the new FSP would replace the English Department's program in London, which will end at the end of this year. The Committee of Chairs voted in May 1993 to terminate the English FSP at the end of the 1995-1996 academic year.

COCA criticized the current English FSP in England primarily because of its unique two term-length, Dean of the Faculty James Wright told The Dartmouth last year.

If COCA approves the proposal in its current form, the new FSP would consist of two separate one-term programs that are offered simultaneously in the fall.

One program would be an annual program at the University of Glasgow in Glasgow, Scotland, while the other would be a rotating program, which would alternate every other year between Trinidad and Dublin, Ireland.

For example, one year students could spend Fall term on the FSP in either Glasgow or Trinidad, and the next fall, students would have a choice between Glasgow or Dublin.

"We were planning instead of the two-term program to have two one-term programs," Cook said.

Cook said the annual program in Glasgow would be an English literature-oriented program, while the rotating programs in Trinidad and Dublin would feature a combination of literature and culture studies.

Professors in the English department stressed they have only formulated a proposal and the plan is still subject to scrutiny of and approval by both COCA and the Humanities Divisional Council of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

"It is pending approval through COCA and has to also be approved by the Divisional Council," English Professor Barbara Will said. Will would be the on-site director of the first Glasgow FSP if the proposal were to be approved in its current form, she said.

English Professor Peter Cosgrove would lead the first Trinidad FSP if the proposal is approved in its current form, Will said.