Construction of Dragon home finished

After several months of negotiations over location, construction of a new building for the Dragon, one of two secret, all-male senior societies on campus, was completed this week.

The College began to look for a new location for the Dragon early last spring and decided in May to construct the building next to Delta Gamma sorority.

The College needed to find a new location for the Dragon, which was formerly on Elm Street next to Bradley and Gerry Halls, in order to expand Baker Library. The old building has now been demolished.

According to Director of Facilities Planning Gordon DeWitt, four sites were considered: near Delta Gamma Sorority, by the observatory, near Occom Pond and along Tuck Mall.

The new location by Delta Gamma was the College's first choice and the Dragon's second, DeWitt said.

The Dragon's first choice was behind the observatory, but the College did not approve of this location.

The new location satisfies the wishes of the College and Dragon, according to DeWitt.

"The new site seemed to work for both of us," Director of Real Estate Paul Olsen said. "I think the Dragon is happy."

The College and the Dragon decided not to construct a new building near Occom Pond, because their proposal met with vigorous protest from a local citizen's organization.

The College also considered moving the building instead of constructing a new one, but decided doing so would not be feasible, according to DeWitt.

The cost of tearing down the old building and constructing a new one was $475,000, DeWitt said.