College implements new Web server

Dartmouth has added a new World Wide Web server, which will offer faster connections, more resources for users and a centralized information server for the College.

Dave Fisher, UNIX systems specialist for computer services, said Kiewit employees have "consolidated the services provided" into one server that provides file transfer services and access to the Web for Dartmouth users.

The servers were changed three weeks ago.

He said on the old server, if someone was using the Web and someone else was using a research tool such as DCIS Navigator, both applications were slowed down.

The old server, Dartvax, still provides mail and news service so the new server can more quickly serve the user, Fisher said.

Michael Pryor '98, a member of the WebMaster group who also works at Kiewit, said the Web has become more important to the public, and more and more users have been creating home pages on the Web.

However, he said they had pages "all over the place," but "now Kiewit can have more control over things" with the centralized server.

Pryor said computer scripts that automate much of the changeover from the old server to the new one, so it is not difficult for Kiewit employees.

He said students must move their pages from the old server to this one.

Karen Lefrak '98, who has her own home page on the Web, said WebMaster Carla Emmons '97 sent an electronic-mail message to all students with home pages with detailed instructions on how to move their pages to the new server.

The message said students must first apply for an account on the new server and then use a program called Fetch to download their files.

Fisher said Fetch is an easy-to-use program that quickly enables people to download files.

He also said the new server makes it easy to create new pages on the Web because knowledge of operating systems such as UNIX is unnecessary.