The Dartmouth names new directorate

Maggie Fritz '97, a 20 year-old history major from Mottram St. Andrew, England, has been named the next president of The Dartmouth.

Fritz, who will be the eighth woman to head the newspaper, will succeed Justin Steinman '96. She and the incoming Senior Directorate will assume leadership of the country's oldest college newspaper for one year beginning Jan. 1, 1996.

Each year, the new Senior Directorate is chosen by the outgoing team of editors.

The Board of Proprietors of The Dartmouth Inc., the student-run corporation that publishes the newspaper, will vote to approve the 1997 Directorate at a meeting on Nov. 18.

The new group of editors will be officially introduced to the staff at the annual Changeover ceremony later that night.

As president, Fritz will oversee both the news and business operations of the College's only daily newspaper.

Siobhan Gorman '97, a 19 year-old government major from Walnut Creek, Calif., will succeed Scott Anthony '96 as managing editor. The managing editor is responsible for coordinating the paper's news content.

Jason Casell '97 will become The Dartmouth's new business manager. Casell will be responsible for the advertising, circulation and production departments of the paper and will direct financial operations.

The 1996 Directorate restructured the business manager position to have it focus more on the overall financial health of the corporation.

"Under the revised structure, the president serves as the chief executive officer, the managing editor as the chief operating officer and the business manager as the chief financial officer," Steinman said.

The next assistant managing editor will be Tim Fitzgibbons '97, who replaces Christopher Kao '96. The assistant managing editor works with the managing editor to supervise the paper's news content.

Aran Toshav '97, will replace Alexander Edlich '96 as associate editor, in charge of the paper's design and layout.

Colin Grey '97 will replace Laurel Smith '96 as the editor of The Dartmouth's Weekend Gazette. Amy Semet '97 will serve as the assistant gazette editor for the new directorate.

The new comment page editor will be Mary Ellen Moore '97, replacing Tyler Newby '96.

Amy Hatch '97 will continue in her role as the newspaper's sports editor.

The new world and nation page editor will be Rebecca Siegel '97, who takes over for David Hemmer '96.

Jack Vaitayanonta '97 will be the new arts and entertainment editor, replacing Aditya Dutt '97.

Dutt will remain on the Directorate, but will serve as a senior editor. Rini Ghosh '97 will also serve as a senior editor.

Fritz said she is looking forward to assuming her role next term.

"The 1996 Directorate, through its leadership, has made a great contribution to The Dartmouth," Fritz said. "I think all of the members of the 1997 Directorate are looking forward to building on the work of the '96s and continuing to produce a high quality paper for this campus."

Steinman said he is confident the new directorate will be up to the challenge of running the newspaper.'

"I'm very excited about the 1997 Directorate. They are a fabulously talented group of individuals," he said. "All 13 members of the directorate have been major contributors to The Dartmouth during the past two years."

"They are more than capable of dealing with the challenges that arise in running a daily newspaper," Steinman said.