Students discuss 'homphobic attacks'

About 15 students gathered in the lounge of the New Hampshire residence hall last night to discuss what members of the Dartmouth Rainbow Alliance termed "homophobic attacks" and why the attacks have received little attention from students.

Members of the DRA and other students spoke informally about the incidents, noting that issues concerning race and gender are debated often on campus, while issues of sexuality are ignored or put to the side.

The discussion focused on the story of a woman who said she was harassed in Lord residence hall two weeks ago because she had a DRA flag hanging in her window.

The woman, who wished to remain anonymous, told The Dartmouth previously that people were yelling and throwing dirt at her first-floor window. She also detailed numerous other "homophobic" incidents that took place in Lord this term.

Many of the students present at the discussion expressed their anger not only at the fact that the crimes happened, but at the apathy of the student body, pointing out that few people even knew about the incidents.

Mario Martinus '98, co-chair of the DRA, said the low turnout at the discussion served as evidence that students did not generally care about issues related to sexuality.

"Dartmouth is a tough place to be supportive of anything that is not traditionally Dartmouth," he said.

Students at the discussion said they were "not surprised" that homophobic attacks have been committed at Dartmouth, citing the conservative atmosphere of the College and of New Hampshire.

Martinus said "visibility" was on the DRA's agenda, but he said that traditional opinions at the College were not likely to change soon.

Referring to the College's history as what he termed a "conformity society," Martinus gave examples of discrimination that he has experienced at Dartmouth, including people yelling offensive epithets at him.

Participants at the discussion said the College tends to filter out what it does not want to hear and suggested that supporters and members of the DRA "speak up for gay rights" in opposition to this trend.

Although the students expressed their disappointment at the "apathy" of the student body, they said the DRA has been doing a good job at promoting openness concerning sexuality.

Many also noted that attitudes at Dartmouth concerning sexuality were changing for the better, commenting that there is a growing openness to discussion of issues related to sexuality.

The discussion was sponsored by the DRA and the Topliff-New Hamp residence cluster. The Gold Coast cluster will hold a discussion about dorm safety on Tuesday night in response to the recent crimes.