Some question whether exclusion policy is effective

Despite what Greek leaders call a "concerted effort" to enforce a policy prohibiting freshmen from attending parties at Greek houses during their first term at Dartmouth, many students and administrators agree that the policy goes largely unenforced.

The Coed Fraternity Sorority Council's "Freshman Visitation" policy prohibits students from attending "Tier Two" CFS events during their freshman fall. Most open fraternity parties are Tier Two functions -- open parties where alcohol is present.

The CFS Judicial Committee, a group of students that adjudicates alleged Greek house violations, has the authority to fine Greek houses $100 for each freshman caught at a Tier Two party.

But many freshmen interviewed by The Dartmouth said the policy is not enforced.

Emily Ross '99, who said she has attended parties at Greek houses, said the policy is "not effective at all."

"Most people can find ways around it, either through climbing in a back window or stating they know a person who knows a person," she said.

Kyle Roderick '99 said he has gotten into two parties -- one via a back door and the other by promising the door monitor he would not consume alcohol.

Other freshmen said such craftiness is unnecessary -- especially for females.

"It's pretty widely known that most of the freshman girls can get in pretty easily," Roderick said. "Guys either have to know somebody, say they're not going to drink or bring a bunch of girls."

Kerry Bystrom '99, who said she has been to "about one or two frat parties," said "usually the people at the front door just let you in."

Bystrom said she was turned away from a fraternity one night by a woman monitoring the door, but was later invited in by fraternity brothers.

"I doubt it would have been like that if it was a bunch of guys" trying to get in, Bystrom said.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity President Adam Medros '96 said the policy is "only as effective as the people you have at the door." Medros said he has been to parties where freshmen were present and has also seen freshmen turned away at the door at other parties.

Administrators also said they believe the policy is seldom enforced.

"My conversations with the [CFS] presidents lead me to believe that freshmen may be entering their organizations during registered social events," Assistant Dean of Residential Life Deb Reinders said.

Reinders said some organizations have effectively barred freshmen, while others have been less vigilant.

Dean of Freshmen Peter Goldsmith also said he thinks there is "significant evidence that the policy is very rarely enforced."

'Fraternities make the effort'

CFSC President Matt Raben '96 and other Greek leaders defended the policy, saying it is impossible to completely enforce it.

"Fraternities make the effort. It's our own policy, and we believe in it," Raben said. "It's not like anybody can just walk in, but there's going to be people who slip through the cracks."

Enforcement is often difficult because the houses have numerous entrances and exits, he said.

Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority president Jess Adelman '96 said, "I've been really impressed with the way fraternities are handling it ... I think houses are making a conscious effort in keeping '99s out."

Panhellenic Council President Dani Brune '96 said although the policy does not stop every first-year student from attending parties, it does act as an effective deterrent.

"I think it's obvious that freshmen sneak into parties, and I don't think there's any way to get around that," she said. "But, I think on the whole it helps reduce the number of freshmen in the fraternities."

"I mean, what can we do short of nailing down all the windows and double locking all the doors?" she said.

Delta Delta Delta sorority President Jess Duda '96 agreed.

"From what I've seen, I would say the houses are trying hard to keep the freshmen out, but they can only do so much," she said.

Many Greek leaders said the problems with the policy is that freshmen act irresponsibly and do not take the policy seriously enough.

"I feel freshmen should be responsible for their own actions," said Josh Wilson '96, president of Psi Upsilon fraternity. "When the houses do everything they can and then freshmen are climbing up fire escapes and through windows, it shouldn't come down on the house."

"It's up to individual houses to determine how effective [the policy] is," Wilson said. According to Wilson, the visitation policy is strictly enforced at Psi U.

A term to bond?

Greek leaders said the policy exists for two reasons: to protect the houses from being held liable for serving alcohol to minors and to give freshmen the opportunity to mingle with each other outside the Greek system.

Most Greek leaders said it is important that freshmen bond during Fall term.

Wilson said he believes the policy "allows freshmen to get a sense of their own identity and to establish a community for themselves in the fall. There's no need for them to be in Greek houses; they've got plenty of time to get to know the Greek houses and that part of the Dartmouth experience."

But some Greek presidents said the spirit of the policy may go against the College's goal of creating a strong, cohesive community.

"It's good to let them experience life outside the fraternity system, but the concept of exclusion is not really in line with these principles [of community] we like to talk about so much at Dartmouth," said Medros.

Freshmen also questioned the necessity of having Fall term to socialize among themselves.

"I honestly don't understand why it's done," Cori Meneley '99 said. "I don't see the reasoning behind us not going."

Rob Simik '99 said the policy limits weekend social options for freshmen. He said he has been to fraternity parties before and will continue to go in spite of the policy.

But other freshmen said they understand the logic behind the policy.

Sabrina Wells '99, who said she has never been to a fraternity party, said "if you're not old enough to drink, you shouldn't be able to go to registered parties like that."

"I think it's a pretty good policy in theory because the first term here we really don't need to be going to frats," Roderick said. "There's enough stuff for us to do without going to frats."

But Roderick said he enjoys going to fraternities to dance and socialize.

Gary Stern '99, who declined to say whether he has attended a Tier Two party, said the policy "helps you get to know your classmates a lot better since it prohibits you from partying with upperclassmen."