Imagine 'Real' Hunger

As many of you know, this week is designated as Hunger Awareness Week. I'm not an expert on hunger related issues, I'm not currently politically active nor have I personally experienced "real" hunger. I was asked to write something on hunger because I see and work with "real" hunger every day. I coordinate the LISTEN Community Dinners available to anyone in need of food. These free, nutritious dinners are offered in Lebanon, Enfield and White River Junction four nights every week.

What do I mean by "real" hunger? Imagine being hungry. Many of us have been hungry, and, in fact, those of us participating in the day-long fast on Wednesday will think we are "real" hungry by the time 6:30 rolls around. But there's more to "real" hunger.

Imagine not knowing how, when or where you are going to get your next meal. Will it be tonight, tomorrow, the day after tomorrow? For those of us participating in the fast on Wednesday, we will have the luxury of knowing that we will definitely have a spaghetti meal waiting for us at 6:30 at Brace Commons. We know it's a temporary situation. Won't it be a little easier to get through the day knowing how, when and where we're going to get our next meal? If you've ever experienced "real" hunger, you will know that fasting and hunger are very different - fasting is a choice. While you are fasting on Wednesday, ask yourselves whether it is possible to experience real hunger in one day when you can clearly see a light at the end of the very short tunnel.

Most of us probably have someone who can help us out when we get in a bind. Imagine having no one to call, no friends or family to ask for help because they are in the same, if not worse, situation as you. And worse, imagine you have children depending on you for food. Or, imagine you have the financial means to purchase food but you have no way to access it; many senior citizens are in this situation.

Many of you will not be able to attend all of the Hunger Awareness events this week and some of you may feel as though you are too busy to attend even one event. If you are not able to participate in any of the events this week, I ask only that you put aside one hour, find a cozy, quiet place to sit and try with all your might to imagine what it's like to be "really" hungry. And some may feel that this too is asking too much. But trust me, it's easier to do than you know -- I speak from experience.

I know how easy it is to get caught up in the academic world and lose sight of the "real" world. Sometimes, college takes on a life of its own, and I imagine attending school in a rural area fosters even more seclusion than attending a school in the city. I attended Boston University in Boston, Mass. where hunger and homelessness cannot be avoided and is not hidden as easily as in rural areas -- it is literally "in your face" in the cities. Although, hunger and homelessness are not as obvious in the Upper Valley, don't let that persuade you to believe it doesn't exist here, because it does! It's easy to miss and I don't know too many people hoping they will come upon a person who is hungry, homeless and poor.

There is no doubt that hunger is depressing and how many of us are looking to be depressed? Not many. However, I want you to see a side that isn't depressing. I challenge you to look hunger in the eye, to stop wasting time in the political arenas by pointing fingers and looking for scapegoats. Put your thoughts and words into action! Trust me, you'll find it's not so depressing after all, and you'll discover you can make a difference!

I applaud the efforts of Students Fighting Hunger who have spent endless hours coordinating stimulating and informative events for your benefit and for the benefit of all those who are hungry. I encourage all of you, administrators, staff, professors, students, volunteers and the general public to attend as many of these events as possible.

After this week is over, please don't stop thinking about these issues. Hunger is not only a day or week-long state of being; it is a daily state of being -- something that millions of people are experiencing and dying from every minute of every day throughout the world.

Sargent Shriver, Director of the Office of Economic Opportunity, said, "Nearly everybody in their life needs somebody to help them. I don't care whether you're the greatest self-made man ... The fact is, somebody has helped you along the way." If you are interested in volunteering, please write to 60 Hanover Street, Lebanon, NH 03766 or call me at (603) 448-4553. You can also reach me at LISTEN.Dartmouth.edu. Thank you for your support!