Hunger Awareness Week kicks off with charity run

In an effort to raise students' awareness of hunger issues, Students Fighting Hunger has planned week-long program aimed at relieving the Upper Valley's hunger crisis.

"Hunger Awareness Week" kicked off yesterday with a Race Against Hunger and will end this Saturday with a Community Food Drive at local supermarkets.

More than 40 students participated in yesterday's race, a five-kilometer run/walk through Hanover. According to Amy McLean '96, the leader of Students Fighting Hunger, the race raised about $250.

"We had a comparable number of people show up for the race this year as last year but the fact that this many people showed up to run a race when it was 20 degrees outside says a lot about the commitment of the students," McLean said.

On Tuesday, William Wildey, the regional director of Church World Services will talk about "Taking Action to Stop Hunger." Wildey will be speaking at 7 p.m. in the Rockefeller Center for the Social Sciences.

Students Fighting Hunger will begin its "Fast For A World Harvest" Tuesday night. McLean said the fast will allow students to "commit one day to an active understanding of the unfortunate plight of the homeless and the hungry poor."

McLean said students will fast until sundown on Wednesday, when a candlelight vigil will be held on the Green. The vigil will be followed by a Break-The-Fast dinner for participants at Homeplate.

According to McLean, about 20 attended the vigil and dinner last year. She said she thought about 20 to 30 students will participate this year.

Epsilon Kappa Theta sorority is sponsoring an all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner and a capella concert in Brace Commons Wednesday night. The dinner and concert, which cost four dollars, will benefit David's House, a local shelter for children undergoing treatment at the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, and local and international hunger relief organizations.

Thursday will feature a panel discussion on "The Effects of the Republican Agenda on Issues of Hunger" in the Rockefeller Center at 7 p.m.

In addition to scheduled events, McLean said hunger awareness tables will be set up in Thayer's lobby, the Collis Student Center and the Hopkins Center for the Performing Arts through Friday.

She said students could make donations to the campus-wide food drive, sign up for the fast and pick up literature on the charities involved with Hunger Awareness Week.

The week's proceeds will help benefit The Listen Center, The Haven and the Hartford Food Station.

McLean said these organizations "address a scope of hunger related problems."

"They help the Upper Valley in terms of its hunger, food and clothing needs," she said.

According to McLean, a small portion of the proceeds will also go to international efforts directed by Oxfam America.

The William Jewett Tucker Foundation, The President's Office, the 1996 Class Council, the 1998 Class Council, Dartmouth Dining Services, Zeta Psi fraternity, Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity are co-sponsors of Hunger Awareness Week.