Greek houses win awards

Delta Delta Delta and Delta Gamma sororities shared top honors last night at the Coed Fraternity and Sorority Council awards banquet, as the sororities were named co-winners of the O'Connor Cup.

Hanover Police Sergeant Chris O'Connor, the son of the late College Proctor for whom the award is named, presented the cup to Tri-Delta and DG for exemplifying "an outstanding organization in the areas of leadership, scholarship and programming," according to the banquet program.

Tri-Delta President Jess Duda '96 said she was delighted her organization won the O'Connor Cup.

"It is a wonderful award, and it goes out to every single one of our members," she said. "I am so thrilled that our membership is so involved and committed to Tri-Delta."

DG President Abbey Henderson '96 also said she was pleased to win the O'Connor Cup. "Every officer has put in endless hours to improve the chapter and I am very happy that their hard work has been recognized," Henderson said.

The most improved organization award was presented to Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity.

According to Mary Tatman '96, who presented the award, SAE was selected because they abolished alcohol during Wednesday night meetings, increased the size of their pledge class, constructed a new library and installed an invisible fence, which shocks dogs that cross it.

Alpha Delta fraternity and Sigma Nu fraternity were recognized for academic excellence in the large and small organization categories, respectively. According to the banquet program, "these awards are measured by counting and scoring the number of Phi Beta Kappas, Rufus Choate Scholars and Level Two and Three Scholars."

Sigma Delt earned the top prize for excellence in programming.

The sorority has sponsored ethnic meals, faculty teas and concerts, such as the Lark Quartet, according to Programming Chair Maribel Bastian '96.