Fowler speaks on public polling

Linda Fowler, the director of the Rockefeller Center for the Social Sciences, discussed concerns about election polls for the upcoming New Hampshire primary in an informal lecture at the Rockefeller Center last night.

Although Fowler enthusiastically referred to herself as the official "College pollster," her lecture focused on skepticism of the usefulness of polls as an information source for the public. A handful of students attended the discussion.

Fowler is spearheading a series of six polls on the Republican primary, which is in February. Dartmouth is working with WMUR-TV in Manchester on the polls. The second of the six polls was released Monday.

"Polling is one of the worst and most insidious aspects of the horse race," Fowler said.

Fowler said participating in the actual polling for this primary poses a great dilemma for her because she said she feels that less attention should be given to who is currently winning or losing.

The money and time devoted to compiling the poll data could be put to more productive use if it were spent on educating the public on candidate's views enabling them to cast a more educated vote, she said.

Fowler said most people are not interested in the strategic aspects of the primary campaigns. For example, she said the public would be more concerned about the tax policies of Sen. Bob Dole, R-Kan., than whether or not his speech "lacked punch."

Fowler said she feels she can play a positive role in the polls by getting involved in educating the public and journalists.

"I am trying to minimize the damage that goes along with this business," Fowler said.

Reporters should realize that poll results should not be taken at face value because they often contain error, Fowler said.

"I want people to be more cautious when looking at poll results," Fowler said.

Fowler also offered her prediction on who would win the Republican nomination.

"Right now I would give the race to Dole even though the polls show him behind [Retired Gen. Colin Powell]. I still think it's Dole's race," she said.