Du's 'jAAm' attracts large crowds

Dartmouth United's first event of the term, coined "The jAAm at the AAm," is being dubbed a success by many of those who attended.

The event, held Saturday night from 11 to 3 at Cutter-Shabazz Hall, was said to have been attended by as many as 600 people.

"Overall, it was an excellent, rockin' party that went on until the wee wee hours of the morning, with at least 600 people through the doors throughout the night," said Holly Eaton '98, a member of Femme Fatale and an attendee of the event.

"It was a huge, diverse, mixed in-every-aspect crowd, and everyone seemed to be having a blast. I don't think that I've ever seen so many different people -- from so many different aspects of campus -- come together and have such a great unapologetically awesome time," she said.

"A steady stream of people came through the doors all night," said Jay Lavender '97, one of the founders of DU.

Almost all students that commented said the event was well organized, and most noted that the event was attended by students from all walks of life.

"It was nice to see so many people of different ethnicities hanging together. That is something you don't see at frats," said Rosemary Durousseau '98, who attended the event.

"I think it was a real success," said Lon Setnik '98.

The organizers of the jAAm also labeled the event a "big success."

"The place was packed from beginning to end with people from all over campus dancing, talking and hanging out," said Chris Miller '97, co-president of DU.

"Many people came up to me and told me it was the best party they had ever been to at Dartmouth," Miller said.

"I'm glad a lot of people got to see what a great building the Shabazz house is, and I hope that this event encourages more students outside the AAm to go to other events there because it's a really fun place," Miller said.

Lavender said, "A large number of people were introduced to the AAm and Shabazz Hall for the first time. The combination of a live band and DJ kept the dancefloor energized throughout the night."

The jAAm featured a quirky line-up of campus groups, including Femme Fatale, an all-female a capella group, Sheba, a newly-formed dance troupe, campus band Groove Merchant and live music with DJs Drew Spencer '97 and KMitch (Kenny Mitchell '97).

The jAAm also had getaways from the dancefloor, including a room with cards, dominoes and assorted board games.

"Tonight was what Dartmouth parties should be like,"said Lynne Ricketts '97.