Buchanan speaks to full house

U.S. presidential candidate Patrick Buchanan told a packed Webster Hall audience yesterday that he is the only truly conservative candidate in the Republican primary field.

Buchanan told an audience of about 450 people that he is pro-life and anti-affirmative action, and that American voters could trust him to uphold any promises he makes in the election campaign.

"Whatever you say about Patrick Buchanan, he says what he means and means what he says," Buchanan said.

Buchanan is the second presidential candidate to visit Dartmouth this year. Former Tennessee Governor Lamar Alexander spoke in Collis Common Ground two weeks ago. Both men have come to Dartmouth as part of the Daniel Webster lecture series.

The New Hampshire primary is scheduled for Feb. 20, 1996.

Buchanan is not a new figure on the national political scene. He served as a special assistant to President Richard Nixon and was director of the White House office of communications under President Ronald Reagan.

Buchanan spent a large portion of yesterday's speech promoting an isolationist foreign policy. He said America should remove itself from the majority of its economic, military and political entanglements.

Buchanan said he does not approve of the North American Free Trade Agreement, the General Agreement on Trades and Tariffs and the World Trade Organization.

These programs constitute "the continued surrender of American national sovereignty," for which America fought during the American Revolution. During that period, "in this land, we decided y'all [the British] are getting out of our country," he said.

He said America has surrendered this national sovereignty, ignoring the intentions of the founding fathers.

"Here we are a rich, powerful country, handing over that power to world organizations," he said. "Eighteen months after NAFTA vote, who was right and who was wrong?"

Buchanan said NAFTA has increased the flow of illegal aliens and drug traffic across the Mexican border and has translated into 300,000 lost jobs for American workers.

Buchanan also addressed the issue of abortion. He said he is unwaveringly pro-life and will fight to guarantee the Republican party platform contains a pro-life plank.

If elected, "I will be the most pro-life president in the history of the United States of America," he said.

In an interview with The Dartmouth before his speech, Buchanan said he disagreed with College President James Freedman's recent reaffirmation of the College's affirmative action policy.

"I believe the government should end all discrimination on the basis of race and all preference on the basis of race," he said.

The government ought make judgments "on excellence, ability, merit and character," he said. "So I would disagree with the president, but Dartmouth should decide, not the federal government."

Also in the interview, Buchanan said his goal is to convince students who are planning to vote in the Republican primary that he is the best candidate.

"I am going to tell the students why I think I am the authentic Republican," he said.

Following his speech, Buchanan held an open question and answer session with the audience. In that session, Buchanan said his foreign policy will be one of "America first."

"My foreign policy will look out for the United States and its interests first," he said. "We should not get involved in foreign affairs unless vital interests of the United States are involved."

Responding to a question about Middle East politics, Buchanan described recently-assassinate Israeli Prime Minister Rabin as "a courageous soldier."

"I think Rabin was a hero, Buchanan said. "He was one of the few people who got a Nobel prize in recent years who deserved it."

But if he is elected president, Buchanan said he will not commit American troops to Israel. "Israel is well equipped militarily to protect itself," he said.

Student reaction to the speech was varied.

"He did an excellent job avoiding answering any questions students had," Matt Herman '98 said.

"It was clear that he has extreme bias towards several minority groups in the United States," Herman added.

Stephanie Little '99 said, "I disagreed with a lot of things he said, but I liked his position on affirmative action."

Co-president of the Young Democrats Sophie Delavo '98 said, "It is an interesting experience to see Buchanan in person and hear what his positions are."

Buchanan said when he announced his intention to seek the presidential nomination this year, he was not taken seriously by the media.

Buchanan, who said he is currently "unemployed," was a commentator on CNN's Crossfire with Michael Kinsley until March.

"I have given up my position on Crossfire, I have given up my syndicated column, I have given up my radio show which is broadcast on 160 stations and I have given up a book deal," he said. "My campaign is no longer considered something of a joke."

Yesterday's visit marked the second campaign visit to Dartmouth for Buchanan. He also spoke at the College when he ran in the 1992 Republican presidential primary. In that election, Buchanan captured 37 percent of the Republican vote.

"When Bush broke his pledge with the American people and raised taxes, I quit my job and ran for President [in 1992]," Buchanan said.

"I came into the New Hampshire primary with no support from anyone," he said.

Buchanan, who also visited the College 34 years ago to partake in the Winter Carnival festivities, said "Dartmouth is an incredible school."