Assembly shuts doors for grant discussion

In an unusual move, the Student Assembly closed its weekly meeting to the public last night to discuss whether or not to co-sponsor a professor's proposal to the Bildner Endowment.

The Assembly has not closed its weekly general Assembly meeting in several years, but Assembly leaders said there was no intention to be secretive.

"There are no hidden motives," Assembly spokesman Scott Rowekamp '97. "No secret agendas."

President Jim Rich '96 said the Assembly closed its doors so its members could discuss a proposal to the Bildner Endowment without biasing the approval process. The Assembly's executive committee also told Assembly members not to comment on the closed-door proceedings.

Rowekamp said the Assembly will submit a proposal for a project to the endowment today. He said Sociology Professor Steven Cornish approached the Assembly and invited it to co-sponsor the proposal with him.

Rich said the Assembly unanimously voted to approve co-sponsoring the proposal.

The Bildner Endowment, which is administered by the Provost's office, provides about $75,000 annually to students and faculty for projects dealing with intergroup relations on campus.

According to a BlitzMail bulletin, the endowment funds projects "that help to build a culture at Dartmouth in which human and intergroup differences are respected, studied, and valued and in which bigotry and discrimination are reduced, thereby contributing to the quality of campus life."

The deadline for project proposals for Winter term is today. Although Rich would not comment on specifics of the project, he said it deals with race on campus.

Several other campus groups will also apply for funding to the foundation. Rowekamp said the Assembly closed its meeting so publicity about the proposal would not unfairly upset the approval decision.

"The Bildner people may feel added pressure to accept it," Rowekamp said.

College President James Freedman decides which proposals to fund. An advisory committee, chaired by Provost Lee Bollinger assists Freedman.

Assembly member Scott Jacobs '99 said the members of the executive committee instructed the general Assembly not to divulge any information regarding what transpired during the closed portion of the meeting.