Sexual abuse regulation is deliverately broad

There were a number of problems with quotations and statements attributed to me in Friday's article about the sexual assault petition ("Group gathers signatures for sexual assault petition," Oct. 27, 1995). To pick one, for the record, I did not say that the petition was unnecessary. I did say that some of those who signed it may not be fully aware of the spectrum of behavior covered by our very broad sexual abuse regulation. It addresses behaviors ranging from unwanted touching to what could be labeled as rape. That is to say, not every student found to be in violation of the sexual abuse regulation has committed a rape. In fact, the Committee On Standards (which includes elected students as well as faculty and administrative representatives) has not been presented with complaints about behaviors clearly warranted "expulsion" (separation), as opposed to multiple terms of suspension. On the other hand, it is clearly prepared to impose a penalty of separation for misconduct when such a penalty would be justified by the facts of a case.

The way in which a community adjudicates cases of violence committed by or against its members is one of its most significant responsibilities. Students are rightly concerned about that important issue. I hope that any student will feel encouraged to talk with me, Dean Lee Pelton, Marcia Kelly (the undergraduate judicial officer), or a class dean about the way in which our disciplinary system works, about the meaning of our standards of community conduct and about this issue in particular.