Sailing team places in regattas

The women's and freshman sailing team won their regattas this past weekend, and the varsity sailing team finished second at the Ivy League Championships.

The women's team, ranked sixth in the country, placed first at the Women's Invitational held at Lake Mascoma last weekend. Five teams from New England competed, with Boston University finishing second and Tufts placing third.

The Big Green were led by freshmen Casey Hogan and Marti Devereaux, who placed first in the A division and juniors Carrie Gilbert and Summer Craig who finished first in the B division.

"We sailed well, especially Casey and Marti," Gilbert said. "It was nice to win on our lake."

The freshman team, led by Hogan, Deveraux, Ed Lalanne, and Mike Gottfried, placed first out of nine teams at the Boston University regatta.

The varsity team also had a successful weekend, finishing second at the Ivy Championships, held in Boston. Harvard University finished first and received the Mosbacher Trophy.

"Overall, the freshmen and women are doing very well," Coach Brian Doyle said. "The varsity team is in a process of rebuilding. They did better than expected at the Ivy Championships, and are moving up the ladder."

The women's team already qualified for the Atlantic Coast Championships, a regatta to be held in November, by placing fourth at the Yale Regatta held on Sept. 16-17.

Doyle said he hopes the women's team will place in the top five at the Atlantic Coast Championships.

The freshman team placed fifth at a regatta on Sept. 30 and are also preparing for the New England Championships, which will be held on Oct. 28-29.

Doyle said that the freshman team are "in line to win the New England Championships."

The varsity team hopes to participate in the Atlantic Coast Championships. The team failed to qualify for the ACC by a disappointing thirteenth place finish at the Danmark Regatta, Doyle said. The top three teams at the Danmark Regatta automatically qualified for the ACC.

However, if the varsity team finishes at the New England Championships in the top three of teams that didn't already qualify for the ACC, they can compete in the ACC, Doyle said.