People should accept the O.J. verdict

I'm writing to The Dartmouth to express my concern over the current O.J. Simpson debacle. I find it quite ridiculous to see people around me getting into these heated debates about poor O.J. I hear one person say "That bastard should be guilty!" I hear others say "Oh, he got off because he was rich." I read your paper and read quote after quote of people saying how shocked they were that O.J. was found not guilty. Who else could have done it they say. Well, this bothers me.

The American justice system has been created to be fair to all parties involved. The state has to prove that beyond a reasonable doubt the defendant is guilty. In O.J.'s case, the state could not muster the evidence needed to convince the jury. They had no witnesses, they had no murder weapon, they basically were missing all the crucial pieces of evidence in a murder case. Still, both sides presented, and the American system found O.J. to be not guilty. Anybody who lives in our country follows the basic tenants of the Constitution. To call yourself American, to salute the flag, means that you live by the laws delineated in our Constitution. Well, the constitutional system that our forefathers came up with has decided that O.J. Simpson did not commit the murders. People should just be able to accept it and let O.J. move on with his life. He went through the system and it was determined he was innocent. Let us let O.J. drift back to normalcy so he can finish up Naked Gun 44 1/4!