Miniversity fills gaps of standard education

During a recent Ballroom Dancing course in the Collis Center, dance instructor Dave Larson called out to his students and said, "Don't worry, no one makes a mistake while they are dancing, there are just moments of great creativity."

Ballroom Dancing is just one of the many programs sponsored by the popular Collis Miniversity program, which also sponsors less traditional classes like Latin Dance and Massage.

Lisa Bamberger '85 started the Miniversity program in the Winter term of 1985. The goal of the program is to "offer the community a variety of practical, stimulating and entertaining classes at a minimal cost," according to a pamphlet advertising the programs.

Ann Kontos '96, one of the Miniversity interns, said there are about 25 classes running this term. She said some of the more popular classes are African Forms, Ballroom Dancing, Cardial Pulmonary Resuscitation, Massage and Wine Discovery, which were all quickly sold out this term.

Andrew Lin '98 said he was inspired to take Ballroom Dancing after watching Arnold Schwarzenegger sweep Jamie Lee Curtis off her feet in the movie "True Lies."

About half of the students taking Ballroom Dancing this term are sophomores.

Dave Harley, one of the few seniors in the class, said, "I felt I hadn't been taking full advantage of all the opportunities available to me. I thought it would be fun."

Latin Dance and Guitar are being offered for the first time this term and are also sold out. "Those classes sold out within the first few hours of registration," said Sonia Novoa '96, the other Miniversity intern.

This year was the first year there was a special registration for freshmen.

"We encourage people to monitor their bulletins and sign up early," Kontos said. "There were many people on the waitlist this term."

Amy Mikolajczyk '99, who is taking a Miniversity sign-language class, said the best part of the class is the interaction between Dartmouth students and members of the community.

"It is great because it is another example of the diversity at Dartmouth," she said.

Alexa Burneikis '98, a student in the Miniversity's African Forms dance class, said she enjoys her class because of her dynamic instructor.

"That woman is a real powerhouse, she works us so hard we can hardly walk the next day," she said.

Expanding the program

This year's interns say they have plans to expand the program next term. "Hopefully we will have Bartending back in the winter and that also always sells out," Kontos said.

The Miniversity interns also plan to change the format of the course catalog.

"Students don't really look at the form anymore," Kontos said. "They already know the classes they want to take. We want to push the new stuff."

Novoa said the Miniversity prides itself on keeping costs low for the students while offering a wide variety of classes.

"You would really have to search for a class like Wine Discovery and if you were able to find it the cost would be extremely high," she said. "A class like African Forms would be virtually impossible to find anywhere else."

Novoa said they would like to provide a Hip-Hop dance class and expand the arts and crafts offerings. She also said some students were upset that Pool was canceled this term.

"We lost our instructor," Novoa said, "but hope to have the course back in the winter."