Kegs, kazoos and spirit: it's the marching band

Kegs and kazoos are not what most people would consider as typical instruments for a marching band. But then again, the Dartmouth College Marching Band is not exactly what people would call a typical band.

"It's more of a spirit thing, rather than a music thing," explained Rusty Young '97, the band's president, in a recent interview.

In fact, formal music -- both instruments and song selection -- often takes a back seat with the band to spirit. As a result, band members play some very unusual instruments.

For example, one year the band sported a marching violin player. This year, a marching accordionist will be among the band's 85 members.

Skye Gurney '99, who plays the kazoo, said the group's enthusiasm drew her to the band.

"I met someone who was in the band and they were really psyched," Gurney said. "I said I could not play an instrument, but they said 'don't worry,' you can play whatever you want, even pots and pans."

Although some members join the marching band as unskilled musicians, there is a strong core of skilled musicians, according to Josh Marks '96. Marks, who is the band's drum major, is often seen on the Saturday afternoon gridiron in full Scottish dress.

Yet Dave Mattingly '96, the band's student conductor, said while the combination of talented and non-talented musicians may seem problematic, the situation actually works out quite well.

"We would like to have the talented bring up the non-talented as opposed to the other way around," Mattingly said.

Founded in 1889, the Dartmouth College Marching Band is the oldest band in the Ivy League.

Every weekend when the football team is at home, spectators flock to Memorial Field to watch the game and hear the marching band. Before the game, the band can be found playing outside the Dartmouth Co-op and if the team wins, the band plays inside the store after the game.

A scatter band

Very few beginners stick with the band without improving their music-making, Young said. In fact, the band's unique composition gives members greater freedom than stricter and more formal groups. Members can choose to play any instrument they want.

"I am kind of exploring right now," Michelle Gregg '99 said. "I used to play the flute, and now I am reacquainting myself with the trombone."

The band is known as a "scatter band," which means its members scramble from formation to formation rather than following a set routine when they perform on the football field at halftime.

Though all the Ivy League bands are "scatter bands," not all provide the same degree of freedom, according to Marks.

"The Cornell band is [regimented] like a high school band and Columbia is complete anarchy," Marks said. "We like to think we are somewhere in between."

Fans of the band know and appreciate the band's unique halftime field formations, which they use to ridicule opposing teams and schools, as well as people and things at Dartmouth.

Recent band favorites include Nostradamus' expanding telescope, two Hanover police cars crashing into one another and the Hop Special, a parody -- complete with moving legs -- of the food at the Hopkins Center for the Performing Arts' Courtyard Cafe.

Earlier this year, members formed Ross Perot's head, which they then transformed into Mickey Mouse.

Hawaii FIve-0

Each week the band creates a new halftime show, requiring them to learn new songs and routines.

Of course, there are some songs that fans can always count on hearing. The band's unofficial theme song is "Hawaii Five-0," which they borrowed from the popular 1960s television series. A snippet of the song can even be found on the band's home page on the World Wide Web.

When there is a home football game, the band warms up with a rousing rendition of "Hawaii Five-0" early Saturday mornings behind Brewster Hall, much to the dismay of residents of the dormitories on the southern side of campus.

"We have to leave our windows open because it is so hot," said Elizabeth Dziadek '99, who lives in Topliff residence hall. "It is quite an interesting experience to be woken up by Hawaii Five-0 by the marching band early on Saturday morning."

During the game, the band will play a number of Dartmouth fight songs and go through the scatter formations. In addition, it will sing songs poking fun at the opponent.

For example, when Dartmouth plays Harvard, the band sings, "Harvard men are really tough / They know how to knit and stuff / Knit one, purl two / Harvard, YooHoo!"

If Dartmouth wins the game, the band marches triumphantly through town and campus buildings.

"We always try to set off car alarms as we walk down the street," said Angela Schiebot '98, the band's equipment manger.

Last week, the band set off the fire alarm in Baker Library.

"We have never marched through a science building, but there is a first time for everything" Young said.

Practice

Such high caliber performances do not come easy. The band spends a good portion of both Thursday and Friday afternoons practicing.

For residents of Hanover, it is not an uncommon occurrence for traffic to come to a standstill when the band marches through town on the way to rehearsal at Chase Field Friday afternoons.

Yet members say practice requires less time than outsiders may believe.

All the band members seem to agree on one aspect of the band, however: the family-like atmosphere of the group.

"You join freshman week and immediately have a family," Karen Zahalka '97 said.

"It's the first place at Dartmouth I felt at home," Rena Chicklas '98 said.

In addition, joining the band has some perks, such as the annual three-day trip to New York City.

"Every time we go to New York we sing the Alma Mater on the top of the Empire State building," Mattingly said.