Freshmen feel social scene dominated by alcohol and frats

Many freshmen experiencing their first term of Dartmouth's social scene say that social life revolves around two things -- alcohol and the Greek system.

While administrators claim that Hanover and the College offer plenty of non-alcoholic social options, many freshmen say they disagree.

Lee Bronsnick '99 said non-alcoholic opportunities are "few and far between, unfortunately leaving alcohol as the only option rather than a choice."

Kelsey Bostwick '99 has been to a variety of parties and said she has mixed feelings about Dartmouth's social scene so far. Although she said she thinks it is better than she expected, she said "if you're not into drinking beer, the social scenes are just not that happening."

Dean of Freshmen Peter Goldsmith said he understands the perception that "social life is dominated by settings that include alcohol."

But Goldsmith said the College invests significant resources into creating social options, and said the Programming Board is working all the time to create activities for students.

Goldsmith said the town of Hanover presents "as many rich, cultural options as most small cities."

Although Kenneth Graham '99, a Butterfield Hall resident and non-drinker, said he is enjoying himself and likes the social life at Dartmouth, he also said he has felt surrounded by alcohol, which has been available at almost every party he has been to.

Graham admitted he has not been actively searching for parties without alcohol, and said he would go to them "if they were available."

But many freshmen said they have had a lot of fun so far this term.

Coming to Dartmouth from Switzerland, Sylvia Cediel '99 said the social life is great and said she loves it. She added it reminds her of living in Europe, where it was natural to drink due to a poorly enforced drinking age of 16.

Greek System

Many freshmen have also been drawn to the Greek system because of a perceived lack of other alternatives, despite the regulation forbidding freshmen from attending social events at fraternities or sororities where alcohol is served.

Ben Tsao '99 said he goes to fraternity parties because he is attracted by "the mystique, the atmosphere and the mung."

Tsao also said it is exciting to get into a place that you are not supposed to be in.

Cediel said fraternities are fun because they are a good place to meet people and dance to cool music.

Greg Neichin '99, a self-proclaimed frequent fraternity-goer, said he enjoys the good partying and loose atmosphere that they provide.

He said he thinks it is a great place for those who want to drink and dance, but said he is dismayed by the "many immature people who try to prove their tolerance."

Neichin said he thinks it is not that difficult to get into fraternity parties.

He said most freshman who are rejected at the door "find a way in, which makes it all the more fun." He told the story of how he and a friend had to crawl through a window to get into a fraternity one Saturday night.

Alternatives?

Dean of Student Life Holly Sateia said there are various alternatives to social events with alcohol available.

She said the Programming Board works very hard to bring concerts, comedians and other shows to Dartmouth, create community themes and has even helped student entertainment, especially at the Lone Pine Tavern, become popular. Still, many freshmen say they wonder if the administration should be working harder to create more stimulating social activities for students.

Peter Gilmore '99 acknowledged the existence of some social options, but said he thinks they are too academic-oriented and are about "stuff that is not interesting to kids our age."

"Who wants to hear some speech about the economy on a Saturday night?" he said.

Sateia said it is very difficult for the administration to create many social events at night that are attractive to students. She said that a few years back there were weekly Friday night dances, but after a while people stopped going.

Sateia said dissatisfied students should try to work to create new and more interesting activities.

"If students want a different mix of options they can get a different mix," she said. "They just need to express themselves."

"Generally, students can create activities more effectively than the administration," Sateia said.