Freshmen crew races

The men's freshman crew team made a sterling debut in its first action of the season on Sunday during a 14 boat regatta held on the Connecticut River.

The heavyweights placed two boats in the top five, finishing second and fourth, and the lightweights also rowed well earning sixth overall , which was first among the lightweight boats.

The strong rowing of the Big Green was surpassed only by UNH, who's top boat won by a comfortable margin of nearly 25 seconds.

Regardless, the Big Green freshman kicked off their collegiate careers in impressive fashion.

"Our times have improved tremendously over the past two weeks," Tom Reynolds '99 said. "We've really come together over the last few practices."

Reynolds also added that Coach Will Porter's pre-race speech was key in getting most of the first time racers on the team pumped up for the race.

"He told us, 'After two minutes you will feel the burn and you will welcome it. If you don't feel the burn then there is something wrong with you.'"

Apparently Porter was righ.t After the race, Reynolds described the experience as "purely euphoric."