College inducts early Phi Beta Kappas

While the top college seniors in America are inducted into the Phi Beta Kappa honor society each spring, 21 seniors got that invitation two terms early.

Dartmouth's chapter recently inducted 21 brainy members of the Class of 1996 "whose academic rank is among the highest," according to the organizations charter.

Secretary-Treasurer of the College's Phi Beta Kappa chapter Margot de l'Etoile said the early elects are "loosely the top 20 of the class."

"Others may feel left out," she said. Some students with high GPAs may not be selected if they "haven't fulfilled the necessary requirements ... These are mostly transfer students who have not yet matriculated for eight terms," she said.

In the spring, Phi Beta Kappa will extend its membership to the top 10 percent of the Class of 1996, according to de l'Etoile. The cut-off GPA is projected to be a 3.71, she said.

J. Brooks Weaver '97 was awarded the Sophomore Prize, given to the sophomore with the highest GPA.

Most of the 21 early recipients said they were delighted to receive the distinction.

"It is a great honor to be selected for membership in Phi Beta Kappa," Ryan Green '96 said. A biology major, Green is currently applying to medical school and working on a thesis in the physiology department.

Karin Giordano '96, a chemistry and biology double major, said "I'd have to say it was a very pleasant surprise."

Michael Schuster '96, a biophysical chemistry major, said "I was thrilled to be recognized with the rest of the group. This distinction means as much to me as any other honor I have received," he said.

A few humble souls said they were surprised to receive the distinction.

"I was surprised when I received the invitation," Green said.

"There are so many intelligent, hard-working people at Dartmouth, I never really thought about my standing in the Class of 1996," he said.

While Theodore Sorom '96, an engineering major, said he is "naturally very pleased" to have been inducted into Phi Beta Kappa, he said, "I don't think it qualifies me as one of the smartest people in my class."

What makes a Phi Beta?

Most recipients said a combination of hard work and serendipity was responsible for their success.

Eric Behling '96, a physics major, said, "Early acceptance into Phi Beta Kappa is a pleasant reward for my hard work."

"There are few purely merit-based awards left at Dartmouth, and it's nice to be recognized for my academic performance," Behling said.

Sorom said the early Phi Beta Kappa induction "probably means I work hard, maybe too hard."

"This being my last year here, I want to make sure that it is a well-rounded one, including academics as well as my other interests," Sorom said.

Green said his success depended on "a few sleepless nights here and there, I guess. But for the most part, I think I study just like everyone else. A competitive edge never hurts either."

English major Catherine Rymas '96 said it takes a little more than hard work to get sterling grades.

"Luck plays a big part in winding up in Phi Beta Kappa -- which professors and courses you end up with, etc.," she said.

Some students said the College's unique environment contributed to their academic prowess.

Economics major Zimo Zeng '96 said she thinks Dartmouth's "education system is great." Zimo attended college in China for a year and said she appreciates "the freedom to choose what you want to take."

Jennifer Frontera '96, a chemistry major, said she likes the fact that Dartmouth students are low-key about their intelligence.

"What I like about this place is that I don't feel like people are carrying their brains around in a briefcase, waiting to show off their intelligence at any given time," she said.

"People here are more modest and down to earth," Frontera said. "You don't have to go far for a good conversation and you don't have to put up with all the intellectual competition ... that plagues some schools."

But raw intellectualism may not be enough to produce a Phi Beta Kappa, according to Giordano. Fun might be a necessary component.

Neil Evans '96, a computer science major, said "I enjoy the academic environment at Dartmouth. It's very informal, yet still of high quality, and personally I hate pointless formalities."

Other students inducted to Phi Beta Kappa who were not available for comment are seniors Justin Cooper, Angelos Dassios, Marc Ginsburg, David Hemmer, Jennifer Land, Samuel Liebhaber, Robert Parrot, Lukasz Rachuba, David Reymann, Andrew Rodriguez, Bin Song and Kimberly Williams.